PDA

View Full Version : Cooling upgrades

Shikaroka
12-07-2006, 17:45
I plan on doing the timing chains soon.
I have no idea how old the water pump is, so I might as well put a new one back on.
My Burb is a 96, and it has the older cooling system with the single thermostat.
I can't (don't want to) afford to do the gear set and the complete cooling upgrade at the same time.

So, my question....
Can I use the water pump off a 97+ 6.5TD, without putting on the dual thermostat cross-over pipe? If I buy a water pump for a 97 Suburban, is it automatically the high flow version?

My Burb never even gets warm, but I'd rather "upgrade" it a little while I'm at it.

signgrafix
12-08-2006, 01:14
They say that the new pump flows about 74% more and it is way to much for the single thermostat housing. I am in your boat. I am going to do the gears instead of the chain. I recommend you do the same. Also, just wait and do it all at once. No need in doing something twice.

Kennedy
12-08-2006, 08:42
I'd suggest doing all as a kit. Every 6.5 really needs this kit installed IMHO and I'd not suggest doing only the pump.

Shikaroka
12-08-2006, 10:14
I do want to install the gears, that's what I meant by gear set.
But, that adds up to a pretty expensive weekend. I'd like to do it in phases.
If I have to do it all at once, then I'll probably just go with the chains instead of the gears. I probably won't put another 100k on it while I have it. It's already got almost 250k and I'd say the chain are the originals.

Right now the thing never gets up to 180 degrees, even in 90 degree weather. And, now that it's cold, the needle rarely moves and it takes forever to get any heat out of it. I'm thinking the thermostat might be stuck open.