PDA

View Full Version : Strange No start problem

aloharovers
12-07-2006, 19:57
I have a 92 GMC 1500, has the 5.7l petrol engine.
Tried to start her and it just clicks. Battery is old so I went ahead and go a new one.
Still just clicks.
So I went ahead and put a new starter in, still just clicks.
Moved the auto tranny lever into neutral to try, nothing at all.
Moved back into park, and it started right up.
Next day, no start again. Tried the move selector again, and nothing this time.
Then put back in nuetral and rolled back a little bit. Tried it and it starts.
Most of the time the truck starts right up, but every now and then it just plain clicks. If I put into nuetral and roll, then back into park. It starts, most times.
This morning even the rolling didn't work.
When I got home from work it started right up no problem.

Can a bad nuetral safety switch cause the solonoid to click, but not turn the starter?
My thought is to run 12v through a momentary switch and right to the solonoid and next time it acts up give the bypass switcha try.

Any other ideas?

Colorado Kid
12-11-2006, 17:40
Since nobody else took a shot at this I will. I believe the answer to your question is yes, the NSBU switch can cause a "click,click" no start, but I think the more likely culprit is the ignition switch in the column. When mine failed on my '91 with a manual transmission I just parked on slopes for a while, but sooner or later I was bound to kill the engine in some inconvinient spot, so I ponied up and had the ignition lock replaced. I agreee that a bypass to the solinoid would have been cheaper than and just as effective as the new ignition lock.

aloharovers
12-12-2006, 17:55
Thank you.
I need to tear into the colum as it is to replace the cruise control/turn signal stalk

Guess I should go ahead and get the ig switch also

a5150nut
12-12-2006, 19:11
If your ignition switch is like my 94, there is a rod from the tumbler to the switch on the lower end of the steering colum. Down near the brake pedel. That's what I had to replace for a simular problem on mine. And have you looked at the price of the turn/cruise arm? Mine broke out the bottom a while back.

aloharovers
12-13-2006, 14:01
If your ignition switch is like my 94, there is a rod from the tumbler to the switch on the lower end of the steering colum. Down near the brake pedel. That's what I had to replace for a simular problem on mine. And have you looked at the price of the turn/cruise arm? Mine broke out the bottom a while back.

Ahhh I know where it is, thank you.

I ordered the stalk maybe a year ago now and just never got around to replacing it. I think it was 100$

aloharovers
01-25-2007, 21:15
Finally got around to changing out the ignition switch.
Starter solonoid still just goes click-click-click
Tomorrow I am going to try my bypass idea