PDA

View Full Version : Won't Start and then Will??

Stratosurfer
12-07-2006, 21:56
All,
After shut-down the 97 Tahoe has been getting worse at intermittently not starting. Started about 2 months ago in the morning after a short drive and then off for about 1 hour. Wouldn't start. Came back 2 hours later: started.
Two months later it has repeated this routine 4 times in the past three days.
Is this my PMD dying?
No fault codes captured.
I have a new PMD with FSD cooler ready to install, but I called the dealer and he ran my VIN and confirmed I am still under warranty. This truck has the orig pump in it and I'm wondering if I shouldn't press the General for a new free one under warranty rather that replace my PMD myself.
Any thoughts.
Thanks

sailun
12-08-2006, 16:35
Thats exactly how mine behaved earlier this year. No rhyme or reason, starts one day, won't start the next time you shut it off. At the grocery store, or picking up the kids at school. I finally ordered the cooler and PMD, and it was instantly all better.

I would have a hard time turning down a free IP. While they are in there, have them install the PMD and cooler, and keep the extra PMD in the glove box. My IP was replaced under warrantee at 23k, and I did the new PMD and cooler at 155k, this year.

Sounds like you ran into some good luck !
Kevin

rjwest
12-08-2006, 18:28
I have a short ( 6 inch ) cable plugged into the good pmd on the IP, and a remote PMD mounted under dash,

I Use the pump mounted PMD as back up, .

Easy cable swap if a problem.

Do run the IP mounted PMD a few weeks a year just to test it...

Stratosurfer
12-08-2006, 19:19
Thats exactly how mine behaved earlier this year. No rhyme or reason, starts one day, won't start the next time you shut it off. At the grocery store, or picking up the kids at school. I finally ordered the cooler and PMD, and it was instantly all better.

I would have a hard time turning down a free IP. While they are in there, have them install the PMD and cooler, and keep the extra PMD in the glove box. My IP was replaced under warrantee at 23k, and I did the new PMD and cooler at 155k, this year.

Sounds like you ran into some good luck !
Kevin

I noticed on your sig that you're growling about the mpg and on 3:23 gears. My 98 Burb has the 4:11 gears and seems to get 14 mpg at all times. My 97 Tahoe has 3:43 gears, is much lighter and gets between 12 & 13 MPG at all times and conditions. I can't figure it out. I remain dubious of claims of -any- Burb/Tahoe getting those illusive 19-20 MPG figures.

George Schweikle
12-09-2006, 06:55
You should'nt have to press the dealer for a new IP pump. I had mine done at 87,000 miles, and there was no reluctance to do this. And, they install a "Loaded" pump that comes with a new PMD. Unfortunately, my replacement pump failed at 111,000 miles and I have to pay for this one. The GM price is $1700 but, after identifying that suppliers sell new pumps for $1395, the dealer reduced my price to almost the same. It pays to negotiate.

...I have a new PMD with FSD cooler ready to install, but I called the dealer and he ran my VIN and confirmed I am still under warranty. This truck has the orig pump in it and I'm wondering if I shouldn't press the General for a new free one under warranty rather that replace my PMD myself.
Any thoughts.
Thanks

Robyn
12-09-2006, 10:50
I would get that new IP if I could.
Thats a deal one should run and jump on quick.

Once the truck is fixed I would use a remote PMD and save the pump mounted one for a backup.

I have a SOL D on the 94 and am going to get a regular PMD and mount it up front and keep it for a backup.
The SOL D is not bothered by heat but cold seems to bother them from time to time.