PDA

View Full Version : After buying a new truck...

More Power
12-08-2006, 18:02
You guys with brand new trucks, I want you open the hood and see how bright and shiny the aluminum components are on your engine. If untreated, all that raw aluminum will turn dark and crusty looking in just a couple of years, depending on where you live.

The first thing I'll do when the time comes to buy a new truck (or a new engine) is to apply a product to all of the aluminum engine components I've been reading about called Zoop Seal.

I spoke with a ZS rep while SEMA about protecting raw aluminum engine components. Tested to 300 degrees, I was told their chemical treatment can be applied to cast aluminum with a spritzer bottle, then the excess wiped off. According to them, the aluminum should stay bright and shiny, with no surface corrosion for a period of about 3 years. You can read more about Zoop Seal at www.zoopseal.com (http://www.zoopseal.com)

Jim

the_croz
12-09-2006, 02:52
I have an 02 Acura TLS.. All Aluminum components... Not corroded.. It has been my experience with Aluminum.. In the engine compartment seems to get enough oil vapors to keep the corrosion from forming.. I will let you know in a couple of years how my 06 LBZ is holding-up.

Mark Rinker
12-09-2006, 08:09
Too late for my '01 and '02. They have oxidized. Some areas worse than others - nothing terrible, but they certainly don't look 'new' anymore.

Buck
12-09-2006, 12:12
MP, I tried zoop seal on some "new" polished rims. I followed the directions to a T. The application process is a PIA as well. I wasn't happy with it:mad:. Mother's aluminum polish works just as good and is easier to apply and is cheaper.

For anti-corrosion under the hood for example use Gibbs brand. It is like wd-40 only better. I use it on all my guns and general use. Corrosion inhibitor, water repellant, mega penetrant, and ultra lubricant. It is widely used by law enforcement. Best stuff I have ever used. www.gibbsbrand.com

conway
12-09-2006, 20:36
I also used Zoop on my Alcoa wheels. Worked good for a few weeks (guaranteed for a year IIRC); shed water off. Then nada. At the cost, I would not use again, esp. since it was useless after a month.

More Power
12-12-2006, 00:10
Real-life experience is a good thing! Glad you guys are posting your experience.

After going through a couple of winters (in the garage - no driving), the aluminum components on Lil Red's LB7 have darkened a little from what they once were. I wish I'd taken all of the aluminum components (except the heads) off the engine before installing it in the truck, and had them anodized (perhaps red).

There are automotive clear spray paints that might work.

Jim

SoTxPollock
12-13-2006, 12:26
Jim, I think you nailed it with your last comment. Most aluminum wheels come with a coating from the factory that seals them. All you have to do is wash and wax them to keep them bright, the same thing would work under the hood, if you could find a clear that could stand the temperatures. I don't know of any hi-temp clear coat.

Petrella
12-15-2006, 19:23
For all you guys that say its too late, it aint too late, as a matter of fact its never too late.....For all my aluminum dump trailers I use a a product called ZEP FORMULA 7961 a product made by ZEP, its an aluminum brightener that turns aluminum as shiny as it was when it was new. Its a mild concentration of acid, all you have to do is spray it on wait till the aluminum gets a little foamy and rinse off with water, you dont need to scrub. after you rinse the aluminum is like new. You can mix it 1 part zep to 4 parts water and it works really good, doesnt matter how dull the aluminum is it will make it like new. if you cant get zep, you can go to any truck dealership like Kenworth, Peterbilt, Frieightliner and they should have aluminum brighteners that work just as good. I know trailmobile has their own that works really well, and you can get that stuff at Kenworth. I used this stuff under the hood on a couple of my old 94 6.5's and my 88 6.2 and people couldnt believe i when they looked under the hood. The website for zep is http://www.zepmfg.com/ProductCatalog/ProductSearch.asp?img=search and type 1098, in the search.
Anthony
----------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB LBZ/6 Speed
305 70R/16 tires on Eagle 16x10 rims
Chrome wire mesh grille
Alpine Stereo, Navigation, and flip down rear screen
Autometer Cobalt gauges

More Power
12-17-2006, 16:07
Thanks Anthony, I'll see if I can find this locally. :)

Jim

Petrella
12-18-2006, 22:03
Actually I made a mistake on the product, The drum I have in my shop is Product # 1063, and it is called ZEP-A-LUME. I made a mistake, i went into work and said DOH! It was called Zep a lume. So in that search i had in my last post type in product number 1063. Its amazing what this stuff does to aluminum or stainless. but make sure it doesnt touch any highly polished surfaces like wheels, or it will mark them. It will not harm factory GM wheels or Chromed Aluminum aftermarket wheels. It will react with any bare aluminum surfaces only.

Anthony