PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs answers!

Shed
12-09-2006, 09:01
I read these forums alot as I have a new to me 01' D-max. I'm very impressed with the technology and the people on here who really seem to know their stuff, I have some questions, probably dumb questions, but I was hoping you guys could set me straight!

1. My oil pressure gauge seems to fluctuate alot. It goes from 30psi all the way to 75psi depending on temp of truck and air. Is this normal?

2. I added an airaid intake, amsoil synthetic oil, and a magna flow 4" exhaust, and now the truck "depowers" occaisonally when climbing hills or hard acceleration while pulling my 30' 5th wheel. Why? What can correct this?

3. Do I have an Allison transmission? Were they offered this year? I do not have an Allison badge but have been told that it is definately an Allison but I'm not so sure.

4. How do I know what engine I have as far as LLY, LB7, LBZ? What are the differences?

5. When will the injector problems start? I've read alot about the problems and feel this is a ligitimate concern! What do I need to watch for?

6. With the synthetics how long are you guys going on oil changes? I pull the trailer on a few week long trips in the summer, then alot of weekenders, and then nothing through the winter. Commutes are usually highway miles, and only a couple of times a week as I work 24hr. shifts and usually drive my little beater to save miles on the big truck.

7. Last but not least, I intend on making this my own little perfect towing rig (just for what I do), and was wondering what you think would be some nice additions to get there?

Thank you very much for any answers or insights! I will definately take all of your input to heart as I feel all of you have great knowledge! Take care. Shed:)

Mark Rinker
12-09-2006, 10:32
1. My oil pressure gauge seems to fluctuate alot. It goes from 30psi all the way to 75psi depending on temp of truck and air. Is this normal?

Normal. If it drops below 15lbs when hot pay close attention. If you have to start them when really cold, you might see a message on the console about low oil pressure. Avoid this by plugging them in when temps are below 15 degrees, and allowing plenty of warm-up time on cold days.

2. I added an airaid intake, amsoil synthetic oil, and a magna flow 4" exhaust, and now the truck "depowers" occaisonally when climbing hills or hard acceleration while pulling my 30' 5th wheel. Why? What can correct this?

There are programming glitches with the 2001 ECM. You are probably seeing random overboost codes due to the free flowing intake and exhaust. www.kennedydiesel.com can sell you an ECM with 2002 programming and a switchable tow/performance tune. I highly recommend this upgrade for your truck, it will pay for itself in fuel savings if you tow regularly.

3. Do I have an Allison transmission? Were they offered this year? I do not have an Allison badge but have been told that it is definately an Allison but I'm not so sure.

Yes it is an Allison. Make sure to change fluid and the spin-on filter regularly. Personally, I drain all that will come out the drain plug (about 1/4 of the total capacity) every 10K miles, refill and replace the external filter.

4. How do I know what engine I have as far as LLY, LB7, LBZ? What are the differences?

You have an LB7. It was used from 01 through mid 04. Bore, stroke, block design and most bolt-on accessories are the same throughout all three generations, but numerous ECM programming changes, improvements, and emissions changes like EGR have been made.

5. When will the injector problems start? I've read alot about the problems and feel this is a ligitimate concern! What do I need to watch for?

You are covered by warranty up to 200K. Watch for smokey, stinky diesel laden exhaust, and/or oil level rising due to diesel fuel dilution. Your dealer should cheerfully replace all 8 injectors when any of these conditions present themselves.

6. With the synthetics how long are you guys going on oil changes? I pull the trailer on a few week long trips in the summer, then alot of weekenders, and then nothing through the winter. Commutes are usually highway miles, and only a couple of times a week as I work 24hr. shifts and usually drive my little beater to save miles on the big truck.

I have run up as many as 10K miles a month, and that is the oil change interval I use with Mobil I Delvac. Can't comment on Amsoil. Ask your dealer.

7. Last but not least, I intend on making this my own little perfect towing rig (just for what I do), and was wondering what you think would be some nice additions to get there?

Techonsha inertia e-brake controller, severe duty brake pads, Michelin 265 rubber, radar detector, boost/EGT gauges.