PDA

View Full Version : Rear End

jrjong
01-09-2004, 13:43
I have a 1995 6.5 TD 2 wheel drive and want to convert the rear end to a LSD / Posi system and wonder if anyone has any recommendations and where to start looking. I have the 3.73 14 Bolt 8 Lug. What I don't know is if its a

full float rear axle
Semi float axle

thanks for any advice in advance.

[ 01-09-2004, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: jrjong ]

john8662
01-09-2004, 14:29
I look at the axle pumpkin itself. Here is a page that has how to identify a Full-Floater or a Semi-Floater. Look under:

"GM CORPORATE 14-BOLT"

http://katy.tx4wd.org/tech/axle_id.htm

towards the bottom of the page.

jrjong
01-09-2004, 14:48
Well that was easy enough... according to the pictures I have a Full Floating axle and 10.50 ring gear, know the 2nd part, any recommendations on where and what product I should look for...

DmaxMaverick
01-09-2004, 15:37
If you want a limited slip (not locker), I've had the best results with Auburn. Check them out at: Auburn's web site (http://auburngear.com/)

Detroit lockers are very good, but not very civil. Not the best option for in town driving. Eaton's Gov-Loc is more civil for city, but still a locker. They have a tendency to lock up in tight turns under power, and stay locked until you travel some distance straight. They are excellent for getting you out of a spot, but can be nerve-racking on icy/snowy curves.

ARB air lockers and Eaton's E-Locker are the best of both worlds. You have an open diff. full time, and a live axle at the flip of a switch. The ARB requires a compressed air source, while the E-Locker is electric. They do have more moving parts (more to go wrong), but are generally reliable. The E-Locker is relitively a new product, but I have not heard of any problems with them. Michael Tomac is running an E-Locker on his D/A. Considering what he has put his truck through (sub-12 quarters and Cummins killin' pulls), it seems to be a very durable product.

Another thing to consider....
A limited slip requires more maintenance (frequent changes) and lube requirements are more strict, as well as the need for additives. They also have a shorter life.
A locker, under normal situations, requires maintenance similar to an OEM open diff. and additives are not required. Under normal use, they can last as long as an open diff.

Cheers