PDA

View Full Version : Ulsd?

Buck
12-09-2006, 12:22
There is only 1 station that I have been able to find that has the new fuel. I have run 2 tanks of it though my truck and the only difference is it smokes a little less when you romp on it. Mpg is still up to the norm for my truck as is the power feel.

What is the delay? with the new diesels so close to production?

murphyslaw
12-09-2006, 12:57
I got fuel at a big station yesterday and the pump said it was LSD not ULSD. had a big warning about using it in '07 and newer rigs and stuff.

George Schweikle
12-09-2006, 14:00
A story I heard indicated that refineries had been producing ULSD for some time, but had to run this through existing pipelines that transmitted 500 PPM fuel for years. The new fuel will be contaminated by the old fuel residue for a period of time, and the particulate filters on 2007 Diesels must have pure ULSD. Now you all know how stories and urban legends get started, but there may be some truth in this. I also read last year that Flying J had already converted to ULSD. Again, "paper doesn't refuse ink".

There is only 1 station that I have been able to find that has the new fuel. I have run 2 tanks of it though my truck and the only difference is it smokes a little less when you romp on it. Mpg is still up to the norm for my truck as is the power feel.

DmaxMaverick
12-09-2006, 14:39
You should already be getting ULSD, or at least a very high concentration of it. January 1 is the deadline for all suppliers to be pumping the 15 ppm fuel. In order to do that, the refineries have been shipping only ULSD since about October, and earlier in CA. If they have not, for whatever reason, it is unlikely they will meet the deadline, and will be in violation of the federal mandate. Regardless of what any sticker or attendant says, if they do not have 15 ppm in the tanks on January 1, they will have to shut down. I do not see this happening, because refineries have been shipping only ULSD. If your fuel station still has 500 ppm fuel, I'd be very concerned with using that fuel, as it has been sitting there for months, and probably pretty well contaminated.

That said, you still have nothing to worry about. Treat the fuel you receive like it IS ULSD, and you will be fine, regardless of what you actually pump. At this time, there are NO vehicles on the road in the hands of consumers requiring ULSD, but they could be here at any time. The deadline for the vehicles is January 1, also. Vehicles manufactured after December 31, 2006, must be 2007 compliant. This does not include existing stock, which can be sold as new and still not require ULSD, after January 1, 2007. This could make old stock vehicles desirable to some folks. Also, look for clearance sales on the current equipped trucks, because they have a deadline for old stock sales, but I don't know what that is. If I had to guess, I'd say about 90 days.

If your fueling station is still above 15 ppm after December 31, they have three options. One is a very costly flushing process to remove enough old fuel to get their fuel compliant to 15 ppm. The second is to replace the storage tanks. Third is to stop selling Diesel fuel for on highway use. If your station is concerned about this, their fuel turnover would be so low, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Buck
If you are seeing differences between fuelings, I'd suspect reasons other than the ppm fuel rate. Coincedence or quality, but it should not be due to the sulfer level.

Tough Guy
12-09-2006, 19:21

I have been using ULSD since early November...I like it, it seems to be better stuff.

Have you asked any of the station managers about the fuel?

Chris

n3pro
12-09-2006, 20:59
If there is any doubt ask, three stations I saw have changed but one I said that I was surprised they haven't gotten the new fuel yet to the person at the register, his comment . . . here they are the ---- manager is to ---- lazy to do his ---- job, it's not my ---- job, etc. So just because the stickers are not on yet may not mean they didn't switch.

Another place as others have said looking at the price I don't think they have gotten any fuel in quite awhile.

DmaxMaverick
12-09-2006, 21:11
If any US station is receiving fuel, they are getting USLD, whether they know it or not. The refineries aren't supposed to be delivering anything else. If they are, in fact, still getting 500 ppm fuel, "somebody gonna get pinched". It is not up to the station owner, big brother put the word out. The refineries started this in October, so if the fuel isn't yet up to code, something is very wrong.

Petrella
12-10-2006, 00:59
My father and I own 13 Peterbilt dump trucks with dump trailers, and 15 Freightliner's that pull 48 foot 4 axle belt driven dumps. We consume about 5000 ltrs of fuel a day. We have Sunoco delivering fuel to our yard every morning. I asked the driver when we will be getting the new ULSD fuel, and he said, hes been delivering it to my yard since June. I was surprised. Canada already made the swith back in May/June he said, you cant even get the LSD anymore apparently.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB LBZ/6 Speed
305 70R/16 tires on Eagle 16x10 rims
Chrome wire mesh grille
Alpine Stereo, Navigation, and flip down rear screen
Autometer Cobalt gauges
pics of my truck -http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=12647120&uid=2685617&members=1

More Power
12-11-2006, 12:03
Regulations required 80% ULSD availability by October 15, 2006 and 100% by 2010. According to Allen Schaeffer at www.dieselforum.org (expert in all these new regulations), as of late November 2006, ULSD was already at 90% availability across the U.S. :)

Jim

Buck
12-12-2006, 02:42
I will try to ask the fuel managers at all the places I have fueled. Like what was stated earlier maybe they are just to lazy to put the 15ppm stickers on the pumps:confused:

hapaschold
12-12-2006, 05:45
If any US station is receiving fuel, they are getting USLD, whether they know it or not. The refineries aren't supposed to be delivering anything else. If they are, in fact, still getting 500 ppm fuel, "somebody gonna get pinched". It is not up to the station owner, big brother put the word out. The refineries started this in October, so if the fuel isn't yet up to code, something is very wrong.

interesting statement, as i traveled to s. carolina 11/24 and a T/A truck stop had both ULSD and LSD pumps......very clearly marked lanes.... was off rt 95 in N.Carolina i believe but cant remember exactly where, interesting enough, all the big rigs were in the LSD lanes. no price differance.......

DmaxMaverick
12-12-2006, 13:04
interesting statement, as i traveled to s. carolina 11/24 and a T/A truck stop had both ULSD and LSD pumps......very clearly marked lanes.... was off rt 95 in N.Carolina i believe but cant remember exactly where, interesting enough, all the big rigs were in the LSD lanes. no price differance.......

This is possible, but the truck stop would have to be owned or exclusively supplied by a specific refinery. The new mandates have grace periods and exclusions, and this could allow a refinery to maximize their efficiency and average their pricing to cover losses. The key is all suppliers must be compliant by January 1. This would not work with a supplier that gets fuel from multiple sources. One load of 500 PPM on December 15 could put him out of compliance as of January 1. A truck stop in communication with a refinery (read: a plan) could do this and still be in compliance. If I operated a high volume truck stop, I would probably do the same thing. Could be they are preparing to replace or flush those LSD tanks, anyway.