PDA

View Full Version : electrical questions

2000k35006.5
12-11-2006, 11:19
Hello! New to site. Have 2000 K3500 6.5 5 Speed manual. I have replaced both batteries, alt., starter, pulled apart and cleaned all battery cables and replaced the side post bolts[?]. I even placed a small washer between the positive cables, on the starter battery. The idea was to improve conduction. My problem is I occassionaly read a major discharge, according to my guage, does not seem to matter if cold or warm. In addition, my dash lights, ie. all start up lights, bells and whistles, glow plug wait light wont work. Any ideas? Everything is stock. The alternater is, I think the wimpy 105 amp. Can I upgrade this alternater? Does this require changing the plug in the back? Thanks, in advance for any help or advice.

Hubert
12-11-2006, 18:24
One battery upgrade is to add an additional ground strap(s) to batteries and/ or replace the ground strap on rear passenger side of engine. I want to say the ECM and dash share that ground node on the intake bolt or on the hood close by. Another upgrade is to use threaded rod and bottom out in battery threads add a nut then cables and a top nut. Read once to smear anti-sieze on joints to improve conductivity and help control corrosion.

Just to confirm you did take apart the whole positive post connection on the passenger side battery and clean the lead washer up both sides when you added the washer right.?

You should also check the positive post for tightness periodically as it will loosen on its own (common problem). Some have taken out all fuses and cleaning contacts in fuse box under hood as maintenance.

Don't know what indicates a dying alternator or whats involved in upgrade.

gmctd
12-11-2006, 21:38
WTS indicator is wired to the driver's-side glow plug harness - same wire is glow status to the PCM - open wire = glow plug DTC.

Probable dark cause is open bulb filament - replace the bulb.

Could have an alternator on it's way out, but could be additional glow events in colder weather causing discharge condition, and\or weak belt tensioner.

DA BIG ONE
12-12-2006, 03:03
I've seen "new" batteries that don't hold charge, check em.

Suspect alt too..........

2000k35006.5
12-12-2006, 06:50
Thanx guys for the prompt respose. Yes to Huberts question. The positive on passenger side, I tighten twice a week at least. Very problematic, as well as very annoying. I've had alternaters bad from start. Probably will replace via warranty. Like the other suggestions as well. I had a '96 K2500 Ext 6.5 that did the same thing. I kept replacing alt before warranty ran out. Was hoping to avoid the same situation. Thanx again and will keep posted.

sailun
12-12-2006, 13:40
I did the good Dr Lee Swanger's bolt and locknut replacement for the battery terminals years ago. It works, and they never loosen up. Just checked the Burb, the bolt head and lock nut are 9/16. Coarse thread. Don't overtighten the bolt and split the battery case, the locknut will hold it fine.