PDA

View Full Version : Cummins "A" diesels?

NH2112
12-11-2006, 20:44
Does anyone have information about these? We have quite a few of them at my new job (ground support equipment mechanic at Portland ME International Jetport) in tugs for baggage carts, baggage loaders, etc. I was at a loss as to what they were, and when the boss said they were Cummins all I could think was "a Cummins with glow plugs?:confused:" Some are 4-cyls, some are I6s, and they seem to be pretty durable and reliable except for glow plug issues. They use Autolite 1103s, I think if it was up to me I'd drill & tap the holes for 10-1.0 and use 60Gs because the 1103s burn out in a year.

dieseldummy
12-11-2006, 21:22
The A series cummins is a part of the Onan line isn't it?

joed
12-12-2006, 08:53
Back when I was dreaming of doing a diesel conversion on my Jeep CJ7, I researched these a little bit, namely the 6 cyl. 6AT 3.4.

The specs. I found list 120 hp at 3600 rpm and 220 lb/ft at 2000 rpm. I believe it is an indirect-injection setup, with a 3.4L displacement.

It seems several folks have used them in Land Cruiser and Scout conversions. From what I've read, they tend to be quite a bit smoother and higher revving than the B series, although probably not as fuel efficient. I think they are still pretty heavy, ~ 800 lbs, and similar in size to a 292 gas I6.

Hope that helps. Joe.

NH2112
12-16-2006, 20:44
I was looking through our manuals and found out that they are an Onan product, though I guess Cummins designed them. Those numbers are pretty good - pretty close to NA 6.2l specs from an engine with 55% of the 6.2l's displacement. If there aren't any better glow plugs than the Autolites available for them, though, I think I'd either do my 60G conversion or see about fitting a diesel-fired intake heater like some Perkins diesels had.

One of our fuel trucks was down for a week, with a screwed up cam due to a roller lifter retainer breaking and letting the lifter turn in its bore. Who's the genius who designed the DT466 with one head? Why not make it with 2 or 3 heads like a lot of other diesels, especially seeing that the last 2 cylinders are up under the doghouse?

dieseldummy
12-16-2006, 23:24
That DT 466 was origionally designed for tractors so the single head wasn't a problem... I never knew that Cummins owned Onan until a few years ago I had to order a manifold for our old Onan powered welder and the part came in a Cummins box. Had a hefty price tag to it too...