PDA

View Full Version : '94 Chevy K2500 6.5 TD

goose24
12-12-2006, 04:45
I'm looking at buying my first TD. Is this a good truck to buy for my first Diesel? It has 124000 miles and it is in good shape! Also, could you help me with some things to watch out for when buying this vehicle?

More Power
12-12-2006, 16:05
Welcome to the board!

Discovering how well the engine starts after an overnight shut-down will tell you a lot about the glow system, injection system, fuel supply system, engine compression, starter, and batteries. Depending on the overnight low temperature, the engine should start quickly and begin running smoothly soon after starting. There may be some white exhaust smoke during startup, but it should quickly disappear as the engine continues to run.

A new or re-manufactured fuel injection system could last anywhere from 50,000 to 400,000 miles, but the average is in the neighborhood of 120,000 to 150,000 miles. Also, these engines and the vehicles they're in will require some periodic maintenance if the mileage is anything over 100,000 miles. It comes with the territory. To be happy with an older GM diesel you should be willing to do some or most of this maintenance (including the injection system) or you could be disappointed with the cost of hiring a diesel mechanic.

Do your best to have someone experienced with the GM diesel evaluate this potential truck purchase for you. Their experience with the correct engine running characteristics will be invaluable. A diesel engine makes a lot of noise. Being able to evaluate good and bad noises comes with experience.

The 6.5 diesels are not that difficult to maintain once you understand the basics of diesel fuel injection and become more familiar with operating a diesel engine. The Diesel Page will also help you enjoy your "new" diesel and will save you considerable expense in maintenance. :)

Jim