PDA

View Full Version : glow plugs!!

Steve-0
12-12-2006, 15:47
k here's my problem haven't drove my 6.5 for bout a month and it's been sitting for awhile my older 6.5 my 94 sometimes i'll just pull the glow plug fuse and give it a lil shot of either, to get her going. well on my 98 6.5 i was looking formy glow plug fuse in the cab, and there isn't one so i went under the hood found where it said it's suppose to be a glow plug fuse and there isn't one there it's and open slot with no connections. so where the heck is my fuse for it anyone knows let me know would be greatly appreciated

thanks steve

Artworks
12-12-2006, 17:20
DO NOT use either! I shure that is what is what damaged my engine before I bought my truck, a '95. These engines , stock, have 21 - 1 compression. The only starting fluid I have heard of that is ok is WD-40. If you have been using Either, your lucking till now and living on borowed time. Fix the starting problem. I know it cost $ but it is cheaper than new block / engine. Bin there and done it !

Steve-0
12-12-2006, 18:43
i got it running without that was my last resort, my 94 i've been using it since i've owned the truck for work and the truck currently has over 500000 kms heh no problems yet mite be luck i guess heh lol

ronniejoe
12-12-2006, 19:23
The glow plug fuse in the Underhood Fuse Relay Center is only in the circuit that goes to the dash light. It will not stop the glows from working.

You can safely use ether, in very small quantities, as long as the glows are safely and surely disabled. If the glows turn on in the presence of ether, all eight pistons will try to go down at the same time...bad idea.

The only sure way to keep the glows from working is to disconnect the lead wires at the glow plug relay on the 94 and up engines. I have a circuit diagram in my Manual Glow article, available here (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/manualglow.htm).

moondoggie
12-13-2006, 12:05
Good Day!

"The only starting fluid I have heard of that is ok is WD-40." I was told (I have NO hard info) that WD-40 used to work well as a starting fluid, but it was mainly because the propellant was propane, & they don't use propane as the propellant for WD-40 anymore. NO IDEA if any of this is true.

Blessings!