PDA

View Full Version : Leaking antifreeze and Warranty on GM replacement engine?

jdmetcalf57
08-18-2005, 04:11
GM replaced my engine on warranty with a new engine at 97K miles about 4 months ago. It is now weeping antifreeze from the head gasket near cylinder #7. I found it while changing oil with a couple of drops of the orange stuff dripping on the bottom of the oil filter base. The engine now has 9K on it since it was replaced.

Does anyone know what the warranty should be on this replacement engine? I would like to wait a couple of months before I do anything about it. What do you think about this?

rjschoolcraft
08-18-2005, 04:41
Typically 12,000 miles and 12 months. Get it to the dealer quickly!

JohnC
08-18-2005, 06:27
Technically, if they replaced it on the original warranty, the replacement is warranted only for the balance of the original warranty.

That said, I'd think they'd want to take care of your situation rather than face the shame of a new engine that leaks after 9K miles. Did they maybe use a short block and your old heads? Anyhow, I'd go back to the dealer that put it in and see what you can get them to do. It's really their call.

rjschoolcraft
08-18-2005, 07:34
Not true.

When I received a warranty engine in 2000, I was expressely told by the dealer that I had a 12,000 mile/12 month warranty on the engine. My original Manufacturer Warranty was to run out after only 5 months from installation.

jdmetcalf57
08-18-2005, 07:42
The engine was a brand new long block. However after they installed it it had a miss that turned out to be a valve problem. I am not sure if the head that is leaking is the head the dealer had to fix.

JohnC
08-18-2005, 07:43
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
I was expressely told by the dealer that I had a 12,000 mile/12 month warranty on the engine. The dealer has a lot of lattitude on waranty coverage, but I bet you didn't get that in writing! ;)

rjschoolcraft
08-18-2005, 08:33
Sure did. It was on the service receipt. It was printed (not part of the form boiler plate) at the top of the form.

JohnC
08-18-2005, 11:45
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
Sure did. It was on the service receipt. It was printed (not part of the form boiler plate) at the top of the form. Free engines for life!