PDA

View Full Version : South Bend Clutch installed

dieseldummy
12-14-2006, 21:09
Well, I finally saved my pennies and got a South Bend single mass flywheel with a single ceramic disk clutch. I started things Sunday night, figured I'd take it slow and easy so when the clutch got here I'd be ready to install. Over Sun and Mon night I got all the old stuff out and ended up with some free time which I devoted to waxing... That's another story though.

Today the clutch arrived via UPS so around 2:30pm I started the reinstall. Got done and ready for the test drive by 5:00pm. There were no leaks and the SBC performs flawlessly so far. There is slight gear rollover noise at an idle, but if I bump it up to 800 via high idle it goes away.

If you have a ZF6 equiped truck and are holding off on this because you don't think you're ready yet I'd recomend doing it. It's amazing what a difference a good clutch and flywheel make on driving enjoyment.

I ended up replacing the slave cyl for $139, the trans/transfercase gasket+transfercase output seal for $60, and the clutch for $1187 delivered. So for a grand total of under $1400 I have the drivetrain from the engine back good to go for as long as I can drive the pickup for. Like I said before, Well worth it IMO!

I got the clutch from John@ Dynadroitdiesel.com. I'd highly recommend John to anyone thinking about buying a clutch.

Tough Guy
12-14-2006, 21:19
You're not living up to your handle.....

You need to change it to Diesel Genius!

Have you dyno'ed the truck after the EFI live tuning?

Chris

dieseldummy
12-14-2006, 21:31
Thanks TG! It's not very often someone says something nice to me.

No dyno yet after EFIlive. I just started playing with it. With the stock clutch I couldn't do much HP tuning, but did get to play with a friends Ally equiped ride. Hopefully next spring I'll have some good tunes to dyno with. Have to build another 6.2 before I can play with EFI though...

Kennedy
12-15-2006, 08:43
Play with the idle speed at different RPM's until you find what runs the quietest/smoothest. We set JJGMC's dual disk equipped truck to 800 all the time and it seems pretty good. You could possibly get away with less though as the dual disk is quite different.

dieseldummy
12-15-2006, 16:49
800 seems to be the magic number for mine as well... I'd like to hear what the new sprung hub double disk units are like.

Kennedy
12-16-2006, 08:08
With the loose "floater" it's pretty nasty IMHO. Especially when you push in the pedal. Sounds like a big putty knife is being dragged on a wheel. JJ doesn't mind it, and I guess it's a small price to pay for true holding power, but it sure doesn't compliment a sophisticated and refined truck...

I'd like to hear Mac's dual disk. I guess he has the floater sprung to help eliminate this noise

dieseldummy
12-16-2006, 10:16
I've been around a couple trucks with the dual disk and understand what you mean about the noise... That coupled with the rumoured transmission wear I didn't want anything to do with them.