PDA

View Full Version : 1994 GMC Parking Brake Cables

Iain
12-15-2006, 09:01
Quick question, I have an emergency brake cable that is sticking (I can feel a brake and the right side brake drum & rim are quite warm after a 20 min drive to work. Are these cables hard to change?

I have not done parking brake cables on this truck yet and suspect that they are original units. The parking brake pedal is smooth in operation and releases o.k., so there must be a separate set of cables at the back that are sticking.

Just trying to plan what I need for the Saturday project now!

Iain

a5150nut
12-15-2006, 11:09
IIRC, there is a connector on the side of the frame, drivers side. From there its a one piece, split unit to the axel. Have you checked to see if the axel seal is leaking at the brake? Adjuster clean and working? They are supposed to adjust out every time you apply brakes when backing up.

Iain
12-15-2006, 11:30
IIRC, there is a connector on the side of the frame, drivers side. From there its a one piece, split unit to the axel. Have you checked to see if the axel seal is leaking at the brake? Adjuster clean and working? They are supposed to adjust out every time you apply brakes when backing up.

I changed both axle seals about 2 months ago and cleaned all the moving bits and pieces and they have been working fine till now. I don't normally use the parking brake except that recently I have been using it on my driveay to keep the beast from rolling down the hill. I think that is where my problems have started.