PDA

View Full Version : IP Pump question..

TM
12-15-2006, 17:46
[Hello all and happy holidays.

I have a 96 6.5 (153, 000m) with some cold start issues. the only time the problem occurs is at the first start of the day, regardless of temperature. Here is Michigan about now it's been in the fifties, so that really shouldn't be an issues anyway. (IF) I can get it going on the first start it doesn't matter how long it sits after that, it will fire right up with only a minimal amount of white smoke.

First start of the day, the glow plugs cycle normally, the engine turns but seems to be running only on a couple cylinders. Great clouds of white smoke are produced. At this time the truck has no pedal at all--push it to the floor and nothing. After about thirty-forty seconds, I usually can give a push on the accellerator, and the engine will "catch" go right to 1000 rpms and run fine during warm up. Smoke also dissapears. But getting it to "Catch" and even start running badly is getting to be a challenge

recent improvements include:
new heads (old ones cracked)
new IP (3000 miles ago)
new injectors (last week)
new glow plugs and module (about 1000 miles back).
new alternator and batteries+serpentine belt. (few weeks back)

had it a reputable local shop yesterday. it threw pump codes P1216 (Fuel Solenoid response time to short and P1217 (FS response time too long). Also a P0281 (Cylinder three balance).

Mechanic checked glow plugs and circuit (ok) Compression on 1,3,5,7 (lowest was 440#), Lift pump (ok). Timing was ok and in spec. Truck also passed a generall inspection of systems and everything went ok.

at the end of the day, All roads seemed to lead back to the IP. I contacted the shop which installed it (Stanadyne service facility) and they said I needed to bring the pump in (naturally). And they had to pop the top off of it while I stood there. First thing I heard was "I hope no water got in there..."

any thoughts on this problem and/or help would be appreciated. With the pump only three months old, I would hate to think that is the problem...I am carefull where I buy my gas, and use the stanadyne additive in the appropriate amounts. When running, truck performs well and milage is good.

thanks in advance for any help.

gmctd
12-18-2006, 07:40
Welcome to the forum................

Check the fuel supply system - lift pump, OPS, and for air leaks which cause fuel drain-back.

Those can cause the 1216, along with low fuel level in the tank

1217 can be caused by low battery voltage.

Both can be caused by bad fuel.

Both can also be caused by faulty connections and grounds - check your harnesses and battery cables.

And you can use the SEARCH function for more info.

Shikaroka
12-18-2006, 10:47
I had a VERY similar situation with my 96 Burb.
Mine got fixed when I replaced the injectors, and installed a remote mount PMD (used). I also replaced the small harness that connected the PMD to the pump.

I believe my main issue was a couple bad injectors. I think I had a few nozzels that were leaking air back into the lines. So, after it set overnight, the air would work it's way back up to the pump and cause an airlock.

You say you have replaced the injectors, but maybe you have air getting in somewhere. There are a couple threads on here that give good advice on tracking down air leaks.

Good luck.

TM
12-19-2006, 15:31
thanks for the great advice. I'll check the harness and other air related issues. Injectors are brand new, so I doubt the problem is in there. It's going back tomorrow to the shop that installed the pump to (possibly) be warrantied. Truck is running fine once it starts...I'm seeing good power and around 17-17.5mpg combined city/highway driving.