PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter System

conway
12-15-2006, 17:58
I have install the lubrication fuel filter in a pre OEM setup for additional filtration. I have noticed that every couple of weeks the fuel system loses prime and I have to 'pump' the filter to get the truck started. Appreciate feedback on if this is a normal occurance or do I need to go looking for a pin hole leak. Visual inspection shows nothing. The fuel lines are soft, as expected, since I have no fuel lift pump. Is that the answer, do I need a fuel lift pump?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BozDMAX
12-16-2006, 08:02
Not normal.

I plumbed my secondary fuel filter post OEM and have never lost the prime on it in 20K+ miles. It sounds like we have the same system from Greg Landuyt.

I think I would suspect the large o-ring in the OEM filter, since that seems to be the weakest link in the system everytime I change filters. It has helped to remove the right fender well liner because the access is so much better. About a year ago I replaced the standard plastic anchors on the well liner with blind nuts (I guess that is what you call them - shaped like a squat "C" and they pinch over the sheet metal with a threaded nut on the side away from the liner) so now it takes about 5 minutes to pull the liner.

With your filter pre-OEM, there is a chance it will load up much faster if you have much crud in your fuel - it is going to catch everything. With things post-OEM, I have found 10K to be a good interval for the OEM and 20K for the finer filter. Last change at those intervals both filters looked about equally loaded, but with room to spare for more junk.

jsmiracle
12-22-2006, 12:46
I have the same system, but setup is post OEM for the same reasons as stated above. I'd also consider the fuel line connections.....mabe break and reestablish each one. Basically, uninstall/reinstall system. Good Luck.

I've had mine on for about 5k miles with no indications of trouble.:)

Jim M.