PDA

View Full Version : Won,t start after new injectors..no fuel? HELP

NC Rob
12-16-2006, 08:01
This is my first post to this forum. I am very thankful to all the helpful information.

This is my problem. I just put new heads....injectors....glow plugs...FSD Heat Sync with new PMD with a # 9 resitor built into the connector.

I have fuel going out of filter unit. The solenoid on the IP clicks, so I guess it works.

After repeated cranking, it will still not start.

I disconnected the oulet hose on the IP and hookeed a rubber hose into a clear container and when I crank... there is fuel coming out of the line.

I disconnected # 1 injector line and no fuel came out of line.

Is there a special method I need to do to purge air from the lines? My batteries my be a little weak from sitting for a while. I have charged them, and they do turn the engine over somewhat satisfactorly, but not at the speed it usually does when fully charged.

I do the 10 second crank then wait a minute for the starter to cool.

Is it possible the engine is not turning fast enough to force the fuel from the IP?

Is it possible the new PMD is bad, or not compatible. I have not tried re-connecting the old PMD.

The truck ran fine when I pulled it into the garage to begin work.

The reason for changing the heads was because of a stupid mistake I made when flushing the cooling system. I did not realize I was supposed to open the air bleeder valve on top of the thermo housing. The truck actually never did over heat..but it did consume fluid.

The cylinder walls looked as if they were brand new...no wear at all. I regulary changed the oil every 2000 miles and used dura-lube.

I would be very..very thankful for any assistance.

Back to work for now.
Thank you, Robert

rameye
12-16-2006, 09:46
Firstly..you can do a search thru the postings and find lots of methods to get your rig going regardless of the problem...

A new pump takes some time to move fuel out to the injectors...

Charge up your batteries overnite...keep the charger on a low setting also while purging your lines.

Uncrew the top of the filter to remove any air, run fuel thru the front petcock also to remove air and contaminants... last run fuel from the hose before it enters the pump..

Disconnect the glow plug relay fuse or manually disconnect the plugs...

Some folks also remove the glow plugs as the engine will crank easier..

Loosen all injector lines 1 turn from tite and crank the engine 10-15 seconds a shot...

Do this until you see fuel weeping from each line...tighten the lines to spec.. re-connect glow system...then let er rip.

I find that on difficult starts that when it sounds like she's ready to fire I give it some pedal and she gets going a little faster...

This is one method..there are other variations

good luck...

lotsa good/smart people on this board..it helps to do your own research first so you can rule out a typical situation.

NYCEGUY01
12-16-2006, 11:28
I had the same problem when I did my Injectors and pump. It ended up bieng the little ground wire from the pmd was loose Where it was bolted to the top of the pump.
Once I stumbled onto it the truck fired right up.
May want to check all the connections one last time.

93_Burrito
12-16-2006, 13:33
Put the accelerator pedal to the floor (full throttle) while you're cranking.

This is what I needed to do when I replaced the heads on my Tahoe.

NC Rob
12-16-2006, 13:38
Thanks, Rameye, and NYCEGUY.

Believe me, I have searches this forum, a bunch. I find it to be a gold mine of information.

All grounds are good....double checked when putting it back together.

I was afraid I may have to crack open the injection lines to let the air out. Driver,s side won't be so hard...passenger side....well that's another question.

I searched all my manuals on this, and found nothing...except how to bleed the fuel filter unit. With several thousand pages, I quess I could have missed it.

Has anyone ever gotten a 6.5 to start after installing new injectors without cracking open the lines? I just assumed that the air would be pushed out by the fuel coming in...I quess that is what I get for assuming.

Rameye....what you said to dohttp://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/images/smilies/smile.gif
:) makes perfect sense. Thanks guys....and Thanks to the Diesel Page....

NC Rob
12-16-2006, 17:04
Well I finally got it going. I disconnected the glow plug relay, loosened the drivers side lines to the injectors...cranked...cooled starter...cranked.. cooled the starter...again and again...did not get very much weepage from the lines.

I was about to give up....thought I would give it one more try. I tightened the lines...hooked glow plug relay back up....and it started.

I think one of my main problems was the batteries were weak. I jumped it off using my Duramax....what a difference that made.

After smoking for a few minutes...it cleared up. I was beginning to worry that maybe I had a cracked block...but so far, so good.

Now after driving this new Duramax, I am spoiled. I never realized this thing was so loud. It has been a very good truck, don't know whether to keep it or sell it. I know the blue book value is about $5500.

It has no rust, has never been wrecked, interior is excellent. I have over $2500 in new parts....not counting labor.

Anyone have an idea of the price I might get for it? It is an extended cab 4x4...electric trailer brake hookup. I just put on it...new heads...glow plugs...injectors...cooling upgrade...FSD Heat Sync with new PMD...new front crank seal.

Sorry, did not mean to make this sound like an ad.

I would again like to thank this forum for being a great help in my pursuit of this project.

Robert

rameye
12-17-2006, 07:35
glad you got er fired up!!

the board has a classified section...gage your truck to what others are selling theirs for..

merry xmas