PDA

View Full Version : running without vacuume pump

beast
12-16-2006, 22:57
i installed the manual wastegate controller on my 96 and ran with out the vacuum pump. truck seemed strong but have been told since that it wont fuel properly without vacume. any comments? also was wondering if anyone knows what belt size you would need if you took the vacuum pump off? many thanks and GOD bless! Merry Christmas every body!

DaveNY
12-17-2006, 19:50
i installed the manual wastegate controller on my 96 and ran with out the vacuum pump. truck seemed strong but have been told since that it wont fuel properly without vacume. any comments? also was wondering if anyone knows what belt size you would need if you took the vacuum pump off? many thanks and GOD bless! Merry Christmas every body!
I have a similar set up on my 99' Sub. The only glitch I encountered was that the manual boost controller when installed at the recomended setting was not giving me enough boost. It was corrected by installing gauges and cranking the boost up to about 10 lbs. All that said I still haven't removed the vacuum pump, but intend to soon. I still set a P0236 now and then due to a faulty vac solinoid or relay,But no Ill effects on power or drivability. To the best of my knowledge that is the extent of the vacuum system on the 6.5. Good Luck
Dave

Mark Rinker
12-17-2006, 21:06
Vacuum only needed for the boost control system. I removed my pumps on two trucks and switched to smaller belt. Part number is somewhere here in the archives. Get gauges, or at least get something hooked up temporarily while towing and set your peak at about 14# and your nominal unloaded at 6-8#.

Dvldog8793
12-18-2006, 08:16
Howdy
Not sure what is meant by "not fuel properly"??? If you trace the vac lines from the pump you will find out exactly what the vac is used for. Most trucks it is only the waiste gate.
Belt size depends on the year. Mine is a 1999, don't know right off the top but I can find out.

L8r
Conley

The belt that I use is a Goodyear Gatorback No. 4060995 6PK2525 I think this means it is a 4ply 6groove 995mm serpbelt.

Shikaroka
12-18-2006, 10:17
The belt that I use is a Goodyear Gatorback No. 4060995 6PK2525 I think this means it is a 4ply 6groove 995mm serpbelt.

That would be 99.5 inches.
The stock belt is 101", so 1.5" shorter makes sense.