PDA

View Full Version : 97 6.5L wont start kicks back

fasterthanu
12-17-2006, 11:09
I Have a 1997 3500 Dully that i Just bought not running. I didnt have fuel @ the Injectors so I blead the Whole system I now have fuel @ the injecters. IT will try to fire & one of two things will happen .It will try to fire & run only with the starter chassin it or It wiil try to fire @ kick back on the starter like a gas moter that is out of time or timming is to hi. I will tell you that i bought this truck @ auction not running so background is a little to be desierd .I Have owned Several 6.5s in the past But have never had this problem just the usual over heating pmd etc. Thanks for your time any help will be appreciated

fasterthanu
12-17-2006, 13:18
When we purged fuel @ the pump into a clear coke bottle it is a yellow color I dont know waht color it should be but i think it should be more clear . What i am trying to say is how do you tell when diesel fuel gets old . Thanks

Robyn
12-17-2006, 15:00
Well now
The fuel can be from light amber to a light green in color and as long as its clean your good to go.

As far as the kicking back I am suspect of a timing issue.
The crank sensor could be bad.

You need to see if there are any codes stored in the memory.
If its just a crank sensor thats an easy plug and play item.
Driver front of the engine near the pan rail.

Could be a jumped timing chain but I am really not all that hot on that one.

Check for codes before you wear out your starter.

Good luck

Robyn

tommac95
12-18-2006, 23:27
Above advice good.
>It will try to fire & run only with the starter chassin it or It wiil try to fire @ kick back on the starter like a gas moter that is out of time
Diesels only 'fire' when there is adequate compression ... they can't fire when valves are open (backfire/popping in gasser).

It would be nice to know powerplant mileage.
Since you're unsure what you bought -
Follow Robyns advice [codes first!] , if no joy --
Begin with fuel pressure/delivery check ;
You can feed a gallon can of fresh fuel directly to lift pump to eliminate that cause.
check restore battery cabling connections and ground rear passenger head;
do good compression check (it sounds like bad fuel // timing issues // or hydrolocked)
maybe reference 6.5 troubleshooting guide from TDP ; procure Helm OEM manualset....

fasterthanu
12-19-2006, 20:30
Havent had time to work on it much got called into work from vacation. The truck has 123,000 miles showing. Over the ride to & from work I was thinking about fuel pressure being a problem. So my question is what is the best way to check it. Do you check it @ the bleeader by the pump? I am getting fuel there with lift pump running. Also monday I was working on it when I got called in & had no fuel comming out @ the # 1 Inj. I cracked the line once agian to make sure I had fuel but I didnt.( I had it the day before) So my other question is could this be a pump problem. Some one has put a FSD on it, & it is just laying on the intake. My final question is will this truck show codes evan though it hasent run. The reason I am Asking is the Batterys were DEAD when the were checked with a meter thy showed like 2.5 volts so this should have erased the ECM right? Thanks Iam being positive. It will run agian.

Robyn
12-19-2006, 23:05
The pmd needs to be fastened to a heat sink with either heat transfer paste or the stanadyne heat transfer pad.
Having it just laying there is really bad deal.
Get that issue fixed and make sure the batteries are good and all the cables clean and connected right. Poor batteries and conections can just ruin your day.
Having the PMD just laying there may be an issue. Replace the PMD with a new one and mount it on a nice heat sink properly.

If the PMD is flakey it coulkd cause a condition of poor operation of the IP and result in wierd firing.
Also if the batteries are poor and the engine cranks slowly you could get a kick back maybe.

These systems need a good solid 12Volts for things to work properly. If the voltage is low it will cause all sorts of wierd stuff to happen.

If there are codes you can pull them even if the sucker is not running

fasterthanu
01-01-2007, 20:03
Had time to work on the truck this week end .put New battires in @ pluged it in still puffs of white smoke & black. Still no start so I bought A compression tester for diesels & checked all of the cylinders on the drivers side & the first one on the pass side & the results were 225-300. this isnt good from what I read here . My question is could this thing have jumped time ? I was going to tear it down in that area enless some on else had some better advise. Thanks in advance..

Patrick m.
01-02-2007, 17:20
#2 diesel in TN is light green. gold color fuel is GAS!

gas mixed in with diesel tends to smell like diesel

gmctd
01-02-2007, 17:58
Get the FSD mounted on a heatsink, then try some new fuel - if the truck has been sitting any length of time, the stuff in the tank may only resemble Diesel fuel.

fasterthanu
01-02-2007, 20:37
I like those responses question . If I rig up a gravity feed dieselholder if you will, & hook it to the top of the pump will the truck run this way (Say if nothing was wrong with it ?) & I also assume that the lift pump will have to be unpluged. The bigger hose is the fuel inlent is it not (on top). I will also put a filter in line with the diesel holder hose. Thanks

gmctd
01-02-2007, 23:55
That will do the trick - the fuel inlet is top front and to the driverside of the ESO solenoid.

You'll have to run it a bit to burn the fuel in the Inj Pump, so it won't smooth out instantly.

Don't forget to go under the truck, pull the lift pump connector at the pump to disable that.