PDA

View Full Version : DB Starters on Ebay?

damork
12-17-2006, 22:11
I'm interested a replacement starter for my truck and have been looking at those sold by DB Electric on Ebay.

ACDelco has a starter for the 6.5 diesels listed with 5KW power consumption, those on ebay (and others) are listed with 2.5KW. Anyone know the difference? The ACDELCO part numbers are 3361911 (GM 19136220) and 3361912 (GM 19136221)- not sure if 5KW is something new or not.

redbird2
12-17-2006, 22:53
I would look for local parts house that sells delco starts to be on safe side there are a lot of junk started out there on e-bay I have had not dealing with the company you spoke of warranty a lot easier with local parts man

wthif
12-17-2006, 23:07
DB Electrical has very good customer service, but their product wasn't up to my standards and I ended up returning two starters, the one I paid for and the replacement they sent out to see if it would solve the problems of the first one they sent. I also received a full refund. I know arveetek is pleased with his DB Electrical starters. I'm personally going AC Delco next time I buy a starter. Once again I would like to say DB Electrical has good customer service and will send you another starter with out much hassle.

More Power
12-18-2006, 01:25
The original starter that came with the 6.5 project truck gave up the ghost not long after I began driving it with the new engine. After having experience with the auto parts chain store cheapies a couple of years earlier on another truck, I shelled out the bucks for a brand new genuine GM 6.5 starter (bought from www.PeninsularEngine.com (http://www.PeninsularEngine.com)). That starter was still working great after more than 200K miles. :)

At a third the cost of new, the cheap rebuilds were (as it turned out) way-way overpriced. I went through 3 of them in as many weeks before I wised up. Cheap and "guaranteed for life" didn't compensate for the time and aggravation spent during R&R, plus getting stranded in town. :mad:

Jim

damork
12-18-2006, 07:35
All -
Thanks for the input - I agree that I don't want to be messing with warranty even if they do stand behind it. Doesn't help much if it fails and Ebay parts aren't on hand.

I am finding it hard to locate new AC DELCO units. All ACDELCO units are listed as rebuilds (at least the ACDELCO site). Napa (Echlin?) and Autozone (Duralast) sell new units in the $250-270 price range with lifetime warranties, but just not sure of the quality. I'm looking for something to go another 200k+.

arveetek
12-18-2006, 09:21
I've purchased two of the DB electrical starters, and I've been very pleased with both of them. After years of fighting grinding issues on my 6.2L with various brands of rebuilt starters, the brand new DB starter fit perfectly and did away with all the annoying noise.

The DB starters are new, not rebuilt. They come from Taiwan. I wouldn't hesitate buying one.

Having never purchased an AC Delco starter, I can't comment on how the two compare. However, I too, found it difficult to find a new AC Delco starter, they were all rebuilts, even from the dealer. I have not had any cold start issues either, even down close to 0*.

I agree wholeheartedly with More Power, the rebuilt starters from the auto stores are not worth the money. I discovered that the "lifetime" warranty means that you'll be replacing the starters for a lifetime! :D

Casey

Robyn
12-18-2006, 10:25
HMMMM
Well personally I am suspect of most rebuilt anything electrical.
I have had good luck warranty wise with the NAPA store stuff but it never lasts long.
I use a local Auto electric shop that rebuilds the stuff right there in house and uses parts that are in many cases better than the original parts.

Cost me a few $$$ more than the parts store stuff but they last.

I have had starters from the bulk sellers in the past that were so poor that they smoked the first time out of the box.

Now if you have had good luck with a particular company maybe they are a good one.
I personally like trading locally with a builder who puts his/her name on the product.

I am extemely suspect of any builder that paints the whole starter all one color and does so over all the solenoid connections and such.

The units I get here look just like a new one except the builder puts an identifier mark on them so he can tell if someone is playing games.

My recommendation is to buy at your local shop or parts house.
For a 6.2/6.5 a new one from GM is not a bad idea either.

Robyn

JeepSJ
12-18-2006, 12:17
Powermaster has a replacement for the 6.5. I have used their stuff on gassers in the past and have been very happy. IIRC they claim about 25% more power than a stock starter. When mine goes away, I'm going to try one of theirs. You can find them at Summit (www.summitracing.com).

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=PWM%2D9052&N=700+4294839066+115&autoview=sku

arveetek
12-18-2006, 13:57
HMMMM
Well personally I am suspect of most rebuilt anything electrical.

I am extemely suspect of any builder that paints the whole starter all one color and does so over all the solenoid connections and such.

My recommendation is to buy at your local shop or parts house.
For a 6.2/6.5 a new one from GM is not a bad idea either.

Robyn

Again, the DB starters are brand new, not rebuilt. I have not been able to find a GM dealer who can sell a "new" starter, they're rebuilt as well.

Pic of the starters I've purchased:

http://www.dbelectrical.com/pictures/starter%20pictures/DIESEL%20STARTERS/6468-wai.jpg

Ebay auction. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/100-New-Chevy-GMC-Starter-6-2-6-5-Diesel-High-T-6468_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33576QQihZ003QQite mZ130060572617QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

The price does make you stop and wonder, but I'm really pleased!

Casey

damork
12-19-2006, 07:19
I had a look at the Powermaster - looks different but may be worth a try - more torque. Curious if anyone tried one yet.

Also see that Tipton Engineering also shows a high performance model.
SSDiesel apparently has new ACDelco units, haven't completed checks with GM yet.

ToddMeister
12-19-2006, 13:08
I've purchased two of the DB electrical starters, and I've been very pleased with both of them. After years of fighting grinding issues on my 6.2L with various brands of rebuilt starters, the brand new DB starter fit perfectly and did away with all the annoying noise.

The DB starters are new, not rebuilt. They come from Taiwan. I wouldn't hesitate buying one.

Having never purchased an AC Delco starter, I can't comment on how the two compare. However, I too, found it difficult to find a new AC Delco starter, they were all rebuilts, even from the dealer. I have not had any cold start issues either, even down close to 0*.

I agree wholeheartedly with More Power, the rebuilt starters from the auto stores are not worth the money. I discovered that the "lifetime" warranty means that you'll be replacing the starters for a lifetime! :D

Casey

I also have put one of the DB starters on my 95 GMC. It has been on for about a year now, works well, haven't had any problems with it.

I agree about the rebuilt stuff, lots of junk out there.

Robyn
12-19-2006, 19:49
Yup
I have not been able to get a new starter from GM in a long while.
I did get one a few years back for a 6.2 that was a new delco
The rebuilts from GM are not at the top of my list either.
I will keep DB on my list to try.

Bnave95
12-21-2006, 05:56
I do use Auto Zone and I'm at three + years. Of course this is a #2 starter from them. Bad batterys took out the frist one.
Very good ideal to keep good strong batterys for long life of starters ;)

Gobbledot
12-21-2006, 22:37
I have personly done business the DB guys and they produce nothing but the best, and what makes them so good is they stand by there products. They are a great bunch to deal with. Great products..

More Power
12-22-2006, 00:51
Gobbledot: I have personly done business the DB guys and they produce nothing but the best, and what makes them so good is they stand by there products. They are a great bunch to deal with. Great products..

What year 6.5 do you have? Did you have a problem with a starter that they took care of? Tell us more.

Jim

Gobbledot
12-22-2006, 04:07
I have a 07 classic silverado. No i havent had a problem with this starter but i have previous business with them with other things. I live close to there business and have dealt with them on different occasions.