PDA

View Full Version : excessive white smoke/poor fuel comsumption

lordcam
12-17-2006, 23:54
help me please,

I took my 01 GMC 3500 duallly with a Duramax in to the shop due to excessive smoke (white), low power, exhaust smells of fuel.

I had just started a 5K mile trip and am 1/2 way thru it.

When i went to the dealer they had it for a day and stated that it was a plugged air filter and that there were some codes for the turbo found in the computer. They reset those. NONE of this fixed the white smoke. They then wanted to do a compression test for 300.00.

I suggested that it my be injectors. They keep saying it is not an injector problem because the "service engine soon" light does not come on.

After gettng the truck back a put 200 miles on truck....same problems but power does seem up a bit.

I feel that the dealer is reluctant to look at the injectors as being the problem as they were replaced under warrenty at 63K (truck now has 134K).

what do I say to them to get them to believe that it is the injectors. or what test do I ask and pay for them to perform.

BTW I tow with this truck (44' triple axle trailer 15K weight). i have always gotten 12-14 mpg towing with this trailer, this trip and once this problem started I get 6-7 mpg. trailer weight as remained the same.

No loss or use of oil or coolant.

help soon!!!!

redrider#1
12-18-2006, 07:43
Sure sounds like injectors to me.....try another dealer. I just had all 8 injectors replaced on mine at 47k miles (my truck had almost the same exact symptoms as yours) and the dealer never even blinked about checking things properly and doing the job right. The miles on your truck and the fact that injectors have been replaced already should not affect how this situation is handled at this time. Find a dealer who actually wants to do their job.

BlackMaxx212
12-18-2006, 14:23
I just had a similar experience with my 03 LB7. All 8 injectors replaced after compression test and injector balance test - warranty work. This is my first set, and the truck has 136K miles. After the fix, smoke was gone, power good, but mileage was down a little.