PDA

View Full Version : 700r4 lock-up fun

Subzilla
12-18-2006, 08:45
Greetings,
Cruising down the road in the '83 Sub and suddenly my TC lock-up completely goes away but still shifts throught the gears as normal. After hours of probing and bypassing circuits, I've determined it's not internal to the transmission (wheww). The brake disconnect switch is properly working and I've bypassed the TPS. I'm loosing the signal at a mystery module/relay/gizmo way up under the dash (I can't even put my hand on the top of it!). This gizmo has the input wire from the TPS, the output wire to the transmission and 2 white wires and one brown wire. I cannot trace the white and brown wires as they disappear deep into a wiring harness up into the dash. What is this gizmo and what else (white and brown wires) would control the transmission on this 23 year old machine? I'm trying to decide if I can just bypass the myster gizmo or not?? My transmission only has the one wire going into it for the TC lock-up.

Side question: I've also got a bright red box with lots of wires located close above the accelarator pedal. Is this for the cruise?

I've had this thing for 14 years and I'm still learning about it!!

Subzilla
12-20-2006, 08:48
Surely some of you 700 transmission experts know the answer to my question!! Please, help out a clueless person.

Robyn
01-16-2007, 10:22
Hi
I would get ahold of a factory wiring diagram book and check out the "gizmo"
Some of this stuff can be a real PITA without a schematic.

Subzilla
01-18-2007, 14:50
I ended up bypassing the gizmo and getting my lock-up back. I'm assuming this was some computer control based on temperature or speed or I don't know. Anyway, everything appears to be back to normal. Thanks, Robyn.

west85
01-22-2007, 08:30
I'm pretty sure there is a relay under the dash that keeps the tc from locking up in 4wd, so that maybe it, but i don't recall it having anything coming from the throttle switch.

Subzilla
01-25-2007, 14:57
Ahh, I didn't even think about the 4WD connection. I wonder where it would get its signal - transfer case switch or shift lever??? I'll probe around. Thanks!