PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Flo replacement tanks??

WILLYD-MAX
12-18-2006, 20:51
Anyone using a replacement tank from transfer flo? I am considering switching my measly 26 gal tank to a 46 from them. Any thots pro or con?

cowboywildbill
12-20-2006, 06:36
We had 56 gal replacement in our 02. Loved it, good quality and easy to install. Kind of expensive though. I think we will put a small 40 gal aux. in the front of the bed in our 06. Don't know what brand yet.

sjlinto
12-23-2006, 12:38
I had a 50 gallon across the bed Transfer Flow installed last summer at their Chico, CA headquarters.

I can say I am 100% satisfied with the product. it is minimally invasive to the stock fuel system. If you did have a problem you just puul the fuse and it's like it isn't there.

I was going with th e 30 gal. steel but I learned the 50 gal uses almost the same footprint and the diamond plate aluminum is lighter.

WILLYD-MAX
12-23-2006, 20:46
Thank you. I am leaning toward the replacement tank at this point.:)

EdHale
12-24-2006, 06:19
I too am interested in the 46 or is it 45, gallon replacement tank. I'm not concerned about it being 1" below the frame, but I do wonder about two things:

1. How difficult is it to install since I am considering doing it myself. Yes, I'm pretty handy....

2. What impact will it have on the fuel gauge and other items that are calibrated to the original 26 gallon tank?

I wasn't too interested until this week when I'm on the road for the holidays and used to have a 42 gallon tank in my '98 6.5 Suburban.

Thanks.

Ed

Troy
01-20-2007, 00:09
I have been using the TransferFlow 45 Gal replacement tank in my 2002 DMax for 4 years. I have had no problems with it. It does hang a little low but I have never had a problem and I have been on some fairly rough roads in the mountains. I had it installed along with the larger inlet filler hose at a local diesel shop so can't comment on the installation. I wouldn't own another short bed truck with out one. I don't have the DIC but the fuel guage just takes longer to move off of full. I finally got use to driving over 100 miles with the low fuel light on. I love the longer range especialy when towing the fiver.

torque
01-31-2007, 11:51
I installed the 45 gal replacement on my '02 in my driveway with a sissor jack, bottle jack, and a floor jack (what I had in my garage) in my driveway, by myself. I would have taken it out and stuck it in my '07 but they don't interchange. I'm going to order another one for my new one and put it in myself again. Yeah, and I been collecting Social Security for 2 years (full retirement age), so you can do it.

torque
01-31-2007, 11:56
Forgot to answer the second part: the fuel gage works OK for the larger tank, but it isn't as accurate as stock. '02's don't have the fuel economy readout, so I don't know about it, but I assume Transferflow took care of that.

pvoss
03-21-2007, 18:14
I would like to know if anone has had a problem with the replacement tank and the trans cooler. Dose it give it enough room to work?

jsmiracle
03-21-2007, 20:12
I just installed an RDS 60-gal. aux. fuel tank in my truck. I now have the original plus aux. tank (26+60 gal.) for range (especially nice when towing the TT). I installed it myself with RoyW's (TDP member) help via email. I love it so far. Overall, it cost me about 700-900 dollars. I'll be glad to help via email as RoyW helped me, if you decide to go that route. BTW, you can see pics of my install in TDP's photo album under "jsmiracle".

Take care,
Jim M.

jharden1
03-23-2007, 11:46
FWIW I plan on installing the across the bed tank from Northern tool (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306719_200306719). It has a tool box and is gravity flow. I installed a gravity flow tank on my last truck and I liked it. No moving parts to fail. While I like the Transfer Flow products, they are a bit spendy.

HH
03-23-2007, 19:35
Transfer Flow produces a quality product. In my previous job, many years ago, I worked with them on some of their tanks.

tanker
03-24-2007, 08:07
I have the 98 gal cross bed by transfer flow. Nothing to do, its automatic, pumps over when needed, never a spill. One draw back, it takes up about 2ft of bed space, but the money it has saved me cancels that out, so i now have a short bed!! I save about 35-40 cents a gallon when we visit the grand kids in Virginia. Haven't bought fuel here in Pennsylvania since 05.
I sold a Transfer Flow 45 gallon replacement tank to a local fellow, and he loves it. Easy install, and more than doubled his range.
Spendy? Yes, but it is a quality unit.

mhagie
03-26-2007, 10:43
I personally do not like the idea of a 45 gallon replacement tank because it hangs all its weight on the drivers side,plus add the drivers weight to that and in time the truck will sag to that side.
I will go for the Northern bed mounted cross tank for my truck.
I don't know why GM don't mount the tanks from side to side like the Furds instead of parallel with the frame.

Merle

letsgo
04-07-2007, 16:44
watch for the paint lifting fom the steel tank on the botom and sides probable cause winter salt, for those that that choose other brands make sure they have DOT approval.,

upsguy
05-18-2007, 20:53
I had the mechanic at work install my Transfer Flow replacement tank for $200. I've had it on for about a month and I love not having to fuel up as often. I've taken one trip towing our TT and made the round trip without having to refuel. If I fill it up untill I can see the fuel in the neck of tank it will hold 47 gallons.

EdHale
05-19-2007, 06:54
How long did it take him to install it? I'm thinking of getting this tank myself, but I would proably install myself. Did he have any problems or unexpected things that didn't fit? Thanks. Ed

upsguy
05-20-2007, 22:21
Well, he has a lift in his shop at home, so he wasn't crawling around under the truck on his back. I don't know how long it took him to do it, but he said the hardest thing was getting the lines on top of the tank disconnected. He originally said he would do it for $150, unless he run into something unexpected. He said it took him longer than expected so he charged me $200, which I was happy to pay. I had read on here or somewhere else that people have paid $400 to have one installed.

I've run it down to where I've had 3 gallons left in the tank. I'd be interested to find out how low you can go before the level is to low for the fuel pickup to reach. I've read on a thread on here that someone said that tank had 6 or 7 unusable gallons - thats bull!

jharden1
06-12-2007, 06:04
Just installed the RDS(Northern Tools) 51 Gal/Tool box combo. Took about 2 1/2 hours. Looks very nice. The optional fill neck kit has a float valve built in so as to modulate the fuel in. The RDS web site has drawings that give a good view of the tank. It sets below the top of the bed, has two latches on the lid but will open from either side.

jharden1
06-24-2007, 15:03
After 440 miles fuel gauge went to empty with RDS tank. It reset next start and indicated correctly. The install instructions indicated this might happen with some vehicles. I have an LMM. Love the tank and tool box combo.

HUTCH45
07-17-2007, 18:44
I had a 50 gallon across the bed Transfer Flow installed last summer at their Chico, CA headquarters

Have sent you a PM...Thanks,