PDA

View Full Version : oil filler tube gasket

Mr. Bone
12-19-2006, 09:50
Hello,

Yet another wrinkle in the dynamics of a newbie changing a water pump on a 6.2 in a van. I noticed there is oil residue caked onto the front of the engine block (WP, WP plate, and below). Looks like the source of the leak is where the oil filler tube enters the block/plate. Called the Chevy dealer and the part is discontinued. He suggested i find one in a salvage yard. Remember i live in New Orleans and because of the massive flooding the closest salvage yard is about 1 1/2 hours away (one way). there is good chance they won't even know what i'm talking about when i ask them about the part anyway.

Are there any suggestions here? Maybe a sealant? Any thoughts will help. Thank you.

john8662
12-19-2006, 10:47
Good news. The same gasket that fits a 6.2 also fits the 6.5, that part should still be available. It's a rubber boot so-to-speak.

I do doubt that this part has actually failed, it usually seals decent.

The source of all the oil around that area is usually due to filling the engine and the spillings runnind down the tube, then onto the waterpump/belts, etc. etc. The van is especially difficult about this because of the access to the filler tube is less accessable than that of a truck (as far as pouring your quarts and gallons in).

John

JeepSJ
12-19-2006, 10:47
Should not be discontinued...I just purchased one new at the dealer back in September. It has been my experience with the parts guys that they don't have a clue when it comes to diesels, and I usually have to point to the part on their computer screen.

Mr. Bone
12-19-2006, 11:37
Okay. Thank you so much for the prompt replies. I'll clean up everything and see what happens over the next couple of months regarding residue. Thanks again. R