PDA

View Full Version : stupid question

GregCrabb
12-19-2006, 21:52
I know this isn't a chevy question but you've all helped me before. I'm sure this is a really dumb question but I have to ask. A friend of mine has a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer he bought used and does not have the radio code...and if the radio senses battery disconnect it locks up and the dealer has to do the reset if you don't have the code. The car needs a battery...is it possible to change a battery without killing the radio, but not kill anything else in the process (like the ECU)? I know better than to disconnect a battery with the engine running. I've never thought about it as my cars and truck don't have this problem. What about jumpers from another car? Risky? Blow something up? Fry something? Just curious. I looked on a Mitsu forum but couldn't find anything.

GregCrabb
12-19-2006, 22:12
I found a post on a range rover site where someone did just what I said above and it worked. Just wondering if anyone else has ever done it.

DmaxMaverick
12-19-2006, 22:13
Piece of cake. Get 2 lengths 10-12 ga. wire with aligator clips at all ends. Use another vehicle to supply the temporary voltage while the battery is swapped. Hook ground to ground, and bat+ to bat+. Be sure neither vehicle is running, or has the key on. All you need is a constant 12V to keep the memories active. The devices will survive about 10 minutes of disconnect, but if you are a second too late, it's too late.

You could use jumper cables, but they are bulky. Arc'n and spark'n ain't good.

GregCrabb
12-19-2006, 23:45
Sounds like a winner to me. My 6.2 will be the "donor voltage" vehicle. My friend is not much of an auto mechanic...he comes to me for all his car help...and I of course go on here.
thanks

Shikaroka
12-20-2006, 10:12
You can buy these little "memory saver" devices at a lot of parts stores.
They use a standard 9V battery and plug into the cigarette lighter. They supply enough voltage through the system to keep the radio and other devices from reseting.

Here is one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Computer-Memory-Saver-Life-Warr-NEW-Chevy-Ford-ect_W0QQitemZ270070321192QQihZ017QQcategoryZ43991Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
But, I know my local AutoZone has them as well.

DmaxMaverick
12-20-2006, 11:21
You can buy these little "memory saver" devices at a lot of parts stores......

They work, sometimes, but not all vehicles have cig lighter power with key off. The Chevy trucks do, but these devices are not all that reliable. I've seen them used, and sometimes they just don't work. I would not suggest using one, as you have too much to lose if it fails.

JohnC
12-20-2006, 14:22
What ever you do, don't drop the positive cable against the body of the vehicle!

GregCrabb
12-21-2006, 17:30
DmaxMaverick you are correct, the memory savers will not work on Mitsubishi Lancers...the cig. lighter goes off with the key. But the other technique worked like a charm. New battery is in and his radio is not locked up. I used a little duct tape to help hold things up whilst removing the old battery and setting in the new one (another use for duct tape). Thanks for the help everyone. Now I have another trick up my sleeve.

CapnAmerica
12-24-2006, 07:22
Just a quick humorous note on the radio code question...

We travel (live out of?) our GMC Suburban 6.5TD quite a bit (vagrant retirees :cool: ), and have added various services to plug in to the 12V outlets (formerly cigarette lighter). As info, I have so many of these things that I added a mini-console with 4 outlets in front and a 4-way plug strip under the rear seat to accommodate them. One thing I keep plugged in is a zillion-candlepower rechargeable light. When I disconnected my batteries for something a while back and expected to have to enter the code (per GM, user-generated), I found it wasn't necessary. The battery in the light kept everything running for me, including the under-hood light to see the battery work! Of curse, it only worked because, as noted by others, my outlets are all live with the key off.

As an aside, we have--
1, My cell phone recharger
2. Wife's Blackberry charger
3. Little rechargeable flashlight to use around the cabin
4. Two electric coffee cups
5. The aforementioned zillion-CP light
6. Air compressor for tires, bikes, and soccer balls
7. Vacuum cleaner (Hey! I said we live there!)
8. Inverter to run services I can't get in 12V (Since replaced with a hard-wired unit)
9. Radar detector
Of course all the items aren't used all the time, but you get the idea.

Now I need a zillion-amp alternator!!! :eek: