PDA

View Full Version : So just how much additive do you add when fueling up?

ISEEDIT
12-20-2006, 20:39
Regarding the post below on measureing small amounts of fuel additive when filling - well how much do you calibrate out if you have a half tank and filling? or 3/4 tank? If it calls for (for instance) 12 oz additive for ea 20 gal fuel and you have a half tank and fueling - then is it ok to add the 12 oz or just 6? Does it hurt anything if you add more additive then the ratio calls for? I've thought about this packageing thing ever since I've been running diesels and buying additive in 1 gal jugs (treats 300 gals), I have an idea as a pkge/container to keep it simple and clean, but wonder how guys would handle the partial tank fills if additive came in amounts for a tankfull at a time.

DmaxMaverick
12-20-2006, 20:53
I just guess at what is in the tank. If it's too fuzzy, I'll add half, fill up, and add the rest according to what I actually pump. It's not rocket science, and a double dose won't hurt anything. Most additives suggest an amount, but also have higher amounts listed for certain conditions. If it were harmful, I don't think they would recommend the higher dosages. I don't see anything wrong with adding more, other than wasted money if there's no advantage.

RdTxTd
12-21-2006, 19:28
If you usually fill up at about the same level every time, measure enough for that. As long as you're fairly close, I doubt it matters too much. Like DmaxMaverick said, you may be wasting a little, but probably not enough to break you. Maybe you use a little less next time.

I just tell myself it averages out in the long run.

If I was only getting 3 gallons of fuel, I wouldn't use a regular "dose", but 1/2 tank +/- a couple gallons I'm not gonna worry about it.

Dave