PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Heads on 6.2

mstockton
12-21-2006, 21:23
I have a question, new to the forum and the 6.2 diesel. I have read the article on the diesel page that the 6.5 heads will bolt to the 6.2, and I have ordered a set for my 6.2 I am rebuilding (one of my heads had both end cylinders with the common cracks between valves, but also my head gasket had been leaking and eroded the head surface, and I didn't want to go through all the machine work to get the heads resurfaced and rebuilt) My question is about the head gaskets. The 6.5's have a slightly larger piston diameter to account for the larger displacement correct? Well then if the heads are the same, the difference is the bore size and the corresponding size in the fire rings in the head gaskets. Now why would you want to place a larger fire ring on the 6.2 block to seal the deck surface. It has been my experience as a Caterpillar dealer technician that the combustion is violent enough to erode the block or head in the instance of a gasket failure, wouldn't using the larger fire ring also allow the combustion gases to erode the sharp tops of the cylinder bores also? This would seem to me to be a bad idea. Why not just stick with the 6.2 head gaskets? I have a set of fel-pro gaskets. If someone can correct my logic, I would be interested to hear, I can't see why the head cares what gasket it has under it, it would just seem alot better to me to have a fire ring that actually fits the bore diameter perfectly (assuming thats the case with the different gaskets). Input would be appreciated.

-Martin

PS-This seems like a great forum, so I am excited to be a member, I'm sure I'll have more questions later, and hope to be able to help once I finish with my first 6.2 rebuild.

arveetek
12-22-2006, 11:04
The 6.5L gaskets are made slightly different to have a better sealing fire ring than the 6.2L gaskets.

If you compare the 6.5L gaskets to 6.2L gaskets, you'll probably be surprised to find out the they share the same size firing ring. In fact, in my opinion, it almost looked like the 6.2L gaskets had larger rings than the 6.5L's. I had the opportunity to compare the two styles side by side when I rebuilt my 6.2L last year. The bore of the 6.5L is only .080" larger than a 6.2L.

I went with the 6.2L gaskets simply because I used 6.2L heads that the extra coolant passages, which have a tendency to leak if used with 6.5L gaskets. I bored my block .040" larger than stock, and I still had a lot of space between the fire rings and the edge of the cylinders. In fact, the fire rings are not even round...I'm not sure why:

Head gasket shot. (http://image26.webshots.com/26/9/62/16/341896216iTMgwl_ph.jpg?action=&track_pagetag=/page/photo/rides/trucks/&track_action=/Owner/ViewActions/FullSize)

Casey