PDA

View Full Version : Double trailer towing?

ronniejoe
12-21-2006, 22:40
How do I find out the rules for towing two trailers at a time? I see guys pulling boats and other type trailers behind 5th wheels and travel trailers, but don't know what's legal. I assume each state has different rules. I've looked at some information on the internet, but it's not real clear to me.

Any info will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

a5150nut
12-22-2006, 14:09
Try checking DMV or Dot for the states you plan to travel in. I know in California the front trailer must be a fith wheel and the rear is supposed to be a boat. But I have seen tow trailers in front and utility and box trailers in the rear. Don't know if it was allowed because it was leagal in their home state or just hadn't been caught yet. Also Ca requires either a Commercial or RV class "A" to be legal. Or call Highway Patrol / State cops for each state.

phred17
01-16-2007, 11:24
Check this web site.

http://www.boatus.com/trailerclub/laws.asp

bcbigfoot
01-20-2007, 08:56
How do I find out the rules for towing two trailers at a time? I see guys pulling boats and other type trailers behind 5th wheels and travel trailers, but don't know what's legal. I assume each state has different rules. I've looked at some information on the internet, but it's not real clear to me.

Any info will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Don't know about States but in Canada each province is different. In Alberta you can have a combination like the one you desribed but no way in British Columbia. If your ever thinking about going to Alaska you have to drive through British Columbia for several hundred miles so its a no can do.

More Power
01-20-2007, 15:10
I remember seeing an ad blooper program several years ago that contained footage shot for the "Scamper" brand camper trailers. They hooked four or five of their small camper trailers up to a single car hoping to demonstrate how easy the trailers were to tow.

During the filiming, the trailers started whipping on a corner at 40-50 mph, and the whole train wound up in a ball... Who would have seen that coming? No one was hurt, but it was sorta amusing... :D

Jim

Stlheadake
01-25-2007, 18:52
I posed this question on rv.net and located this pdf. It is old, but I think you will get the jist....

I found out that in Illinois it is only legal IF you are towing either an enclosed utility trailer WITH electric brakes, OR a non-commercial personal use vehicle WITH electric brakes....

But I got that from a state trooper....

I have a pdf I tried to attach but apparently I am not smart enough to figure that out. PM me and I have the US Road Use file you are looking for....

Stlheadake
01-26-2007, 07:17
www.rvda.org I think it is still last year's info, but it will have the answers you are looking for.

on edit, I checked and the date on the catalog is May 05, still think it is a pretty good resource.

FBJR
03-14-2007, 22:42
Much of it will come down to brakes, GVW and your license.

Yes each state may differ but in Ca you can tow doubles with the above in mind.

Many people forget the moment you hook up a trailer you are a commercial vehicle for all intents and purposes. Must drive in the right lanes except to pass, 55 mph go through the scales, ect..

Wish I knew how many people I have stopped in the #1 lane going 70 mph with NO CLUE!!!! :rolleyes:

Colorado Kid
03-15-2007, 10:11
That begs an interesting question:

In Colorado towing my 8,000# 5th wheel behind my 6,500# pickup did not make me a Commercial Vehicle, or even a "TRUCK". I could run at the "normal" posted speed limit in any lane legally, and I did not need a CDL and would cause laughter if I stopped at a Port of Entry.

I don't have the pickup or the camper any more, but if I was to borrow my father-in-laws 9500# 5th wheel and 2500HD, also registered in Colorado, and take the kids to Disneyland, how many of those rules would apply to me once I got to the "other" Golden State?

If there was signing that made it clear that a pickup towing a trailer was subject to "truck" rules I'd probably stick pretty close to the 55 MPH (We're getting great mileage, dear), and that would put me in the right lane most of the time, but how am I supposed to know about needing a different driver's license or having to clear the ports? Am I supposed to be keeping a log book too?

Here my Class R (regular) Colorado Driver License (but don't call it "CDL") entitles me to operate "Any motor vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 lbs. as a single unit or in combination, designed to carry 15 or fewer passengers, including the driver, and does not carry hazardous material." Says so in those words on the back of the license

ronniejoe
03-15-2007, 10:33
I know of no state in the Union where RV's fall under commercial trucking rules...from a license standpoint. The signs in california do say "Vehicles with trailers" are subject to the lower speed limits. I've towed in California and never stopped at any scales.

baker2acre
03-15-2007, 11:26
Check this web site.

http://www.boatus.com/trailerclub/laws.asp

Ok, I checked out Phred17's link.... and I have a question. In this link it shows by state some trailering laws. The law of interest is that of double towing. This link labels it as "two trailers." I looked around and noticed that Texas is listed as "No." Well, remeber that Cummins and Duramax video over in the General Forum? :rolleyes: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=26020 Wasn't that in Texas?? The Dodge had a 5th wheel with a Jeep in tow behind it. The question is, what determins what is and isn't a "trailer." Would the the Dodge be considered as towing "two trailers?" Or does it have to be manufactured and registered as a "trailer" to apply? What about a "tow dolly." :confused:

FBJR
03-15-2007, 12:05
Every state could be diff for sure, but the state you are driving in dictates the requirements for towing. Regardless of your home state.

In Ca there are some restrictions for motorhomes and some require a class B license; http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/bus-mh/fs-motorhms.htm

The main thing for towing more than one trailer will be the GVW and the overall length.

Some states treat Pickups like Comm vehicles. IE; posting GVW on the truck, speed limit and lane controls as well as wieght fees.

Mountainman
03-15-2007, 12:17
The one word that is missing in all these replies on towing is "reciprocity." Most, if not all, States have reciprocity with other States enabling a tower that is legal in his own state to be OK in one that he visits. I ran into this many years ago when hauling two personal motorcycles in Ca. with an ancient Dodge ('48) that was registered in Az. At that time ('60), Az. and Ca. had no reciprocity. The Ca. Judge gave me a pass.

FBJR
03-15-2007, 12:56
The one word that is missing in all these replies on towing is "reciprocity." Most, if not all, States have reciprocity with other States enabling a tower that is legal in his own state to be OK in one that he visits. I ran into this many years ago when hauling two personal motorcycles in Ca. with an ancient Dodge ('48) that was registered in Az. At that time ('60), Az. and Ca. had no reciprocity. The Ca. Judge gave me a pass.

Yes, sometimes you will get a pass, but don't count on it. CA does recognize the DL Status of other states, if there are no issues with CA Law. IE; if your CA DL is suspended, you cannot drive in CA even with another states DL.

Vehicles are diff though, regardless of anothers states vehicle standards (say tinted windows or lift) you must comply to CA while in the state. Same with rules of the road.

jharden1
03-23-2007, 11:55
The main thing for towing more than one trailer will be the GVW and the overall length.

Yep, Colo is 80', NJ is 50'. So watch your overall length. Don't get terms confused. We own light trucks, not trucks. A fifth wheel is not a trailer it's a fifth wheel. A Travel trailer is a trailer. So in OH you can put a trailer behind a fifth wheel but not a trailer. Clear as mud? :)

rustyk
03-23-2007, 21:44
Cerain states require an endorsement if the motorhome exceeds 40' and 26K GVW. This isn't a CDL, but a bump-up of a standard operator's license. Mine is 28' and 18K GVW, so I have no worries...

rtphillips370
03-24-2007, 00:01
Speaking as a Police Officer in the Great State of Michigan, and a former officer from the State of Texas, you will have to research each state you plan to operate in. Then refresh that research annually, each year you plan to drive as the law change as often as every year, depending on each state's legislature.

Here in Michigan, for a person to pull a second trailer behind a 5th wheel, requires a [R] endoresement per 257.312i on that person's operator's license. However, if a person has a CDL with [A], [B] or [T] they are covered.

Then per 257.721(5) the coupler between the fifth wheel and second trailer shall be commenserate to the load of the second trailer and that load cannot exceed the empty weight of either the truck or the fifth wheel, then proper chains are required to sustain the load of the second trailer and lastly, the length of the whole rig cannot exceed 65ft. Of course proper registration and lighting are required day and night.

So its rather complicated and that is for one state, then compund it by how many states you plan to travel through.

richp
04-01-2007, 05:55
What I always wonder about is whether the frame and hitches (on both ends) of the fifth wheel trailer are strong enough to handle the load of pulling another trailer, much less a vehicle like a jeep -- something I see from time to time.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Member #27

dieselrealtor
06-17-2008, 12:45
I talked to the ISP & this is what they said,

60' maximum length, no laws against towing a boat behind a travel trailer.

Looks like I am going to have to get a really short boat.

Hook_'em_Horns!
06-17-2008, 14:18
This is an old thread, resurrected, but I’ll throw out some things here. Road Regulations start with Federal and most states adopt these as their own, with some having additional limitations to fit the conditions of their State.

As to Texas, the Interstates are full of UPS and FED-EX trucks pulling doubles, legal, everyone does it.

Limitations for any vehicle or combination vehicles, private or otherwise begin at the Commercial overall weight limit of 26k lbs.

No combination of vehicles, other than a truck tractor-trailer combination may exceed 65 feet. (Exceptions for logging and construction, but this does not apply to the OP)

Vehicle Combinations. No passenger vehicle or other motor vehicle with an unloaded weight of less than 2,500 pounds may be coupled with more than one other vehicle. Not more than three vehicles may be operated in a combination.

Therefore, your overall weight and length are the limiting factors.

Many people consider these huge fivers as being exempt from commercial status, not true. There are exemptions in place for RV’s but, From the manual: “A recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use.” I read this literally as an RV that is DRIVEN, not a trailer pulled.

As a member mentioned earlier, even with exempt status, you still have to pass and obtain a NON-COMMERCIAL Class ‘A’, or ‘B’ license to operate an exempt Vehicle exceeding 26k lbs. In addition, as mentioned, when the overall length of a Motor Home exceeds the limits in place, you must also comply with these rules for a NON-COMMERCIAL operators permit.

Take a 3500-drw pickup and hook a 6-lug tandem axle trailer behind, followed by a 5-lug tandem axle trailer and your Combined Gross Vehicle Weight of all three exceeds 28k lbs.

Try to hook most any trailer to a large Fiver behind a 1-ton, and your combined weight rating exceeds the 26k limit.

Many new F-450 pickup owners are shocked to get their first overweight fines. With it’s GVWR exceeding 16k lbs, anything larger than a 6-lug tandem axle trailer hooked behind puts you in the Commercial Class, whether for private use or not.

There are of course exemptions for farm, agriculture, and well digging but you STILL need to have the proper operator’s license, as stated above.

letsgo
06-21-2008, 18:41
NC. $300.00 FINE

SC. OK

good luck drive safe

enforcer233
06-27-2008, 20:56
Commercial truck double trailers OK on most primary roads in Virgina. But definately no double trailers on private vehicles. Does not matter if it is a 5th wheel or not. Also have to consider Combined Gross weight.

Tiverton
11-26-2012, 13:02
CA DMV website under (drivers license --> license classes ---> non commercial license) states at the top of the page. "No passenger vehicle, pickup truck, or RV may tow more than one other vehicle without a Commercial Class A license with the proper endorsement." here's the link http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2.htm

Guess it's off to truck driving school for me :(

jhornsby3
11-28-2012, 17:48
This a non-issue for me as I hold a class A CDL with tripples/doubles and tanker endorsments, but here in Idaho anyone can pull two trailers behind any vehicle with a standard liesence. This includes two bumper pulls or a fiver with a bumper pull behind. I see it all the time here. Even a 1500 pulling a tent trailer with a long flatbed with 8 atv's on it at the end. Was kind of scary to see this idiot.

JohnC
11-29-2012, 08:42
Spammer resurrects zombie thread...

jhornsby3
12-06-2012, 21:30
John C,
I know I'm slow and can be slow to respond to posts but I am no spammer. At least the last time i checked I wasn't.:D

John H

DmaxMaverick
12-06-2012, 21:57
John C,
I know I'm slow and can be slow to respond to posts but I am no spammer. At least the last time i checked I wasn't.:D

John H

He may have been referring to a couple real spammer posts that were here, that I have since removed. The towing forum seems to be a magnet for spammer posts.

DennisG01
12-07-2012, 09:07
Right, I think he was referring to the post by Tiverton... OP is from Indiana, Tiverton is from GA, yet referenced a CA link? Either way, I think it was mainly due to only 1 post count. 'Course, I'm just guessing what was going through John C.'s head - but then again, I've heard there usually isn't too much going on in there... ;):)

jhornsby3
12-22-2012, 23:44
Again a day late and a few dollars short.

I see now.

But I did see another one the other day pulling a bumper pull camp trailer and a sled trailer with 6 sleds on it. Makes me cringe seeing that.

EdHale
12-23-2012, 05:38
A few months ago on a US highway that goes through where I have my home base, I saw a 3/4 ton diesel PU towing a "LOOOOONG" TT. I didn't measure the trailer, but it was a long one. Behind that was a single axle trailer with two Harley's on it. When I first saw it the owner had stopped for lunch at a local restaurant. I had to stay long enough to watch him leave. Interesting rig to say the least.

a5150nut
12-23-2012, 10:30
I know a construction mechanis who has a 3 axel mecahnics truck and pulls a 40ft trailer. He is set up on line to fax his "over length permits". He also has to have Over Size markings on both ends of his rig. But the truck is commercial lisensed too.

It's no doubles, but if you now the proper prior steps to properly perform a task it can be done.

Don't splain gettin by on Dumb Luck though.

a5150nut
12-23-2012, 10:32
I know a construction mechanis who has a 3 axel mecahnics truck and pulls a 40ft trailer. He is set up on line to fax his "over length permits". He also has to have Over Size markings on both ends of his rig. But the truck is commercial lisensed too.

It's no doubles, but if you now the proper prior steps to properly perform a task it can be done.

Don't splain gettin by on Dumb Luck though.

I was driving up I5 a couple years ago and passer a 3/4 ton pulling a 24 ft travel tailer and a 12 ft enclosed. Both were regular TT hitches.

Go figure. . . . .

jhornsby3
12-23-2012, 15:01
Commercial wise i pulled a 10 wheel water truck with a 28' equipment trailer behind it. Heck that was the truck I took my CDL skills test in. Other than having no power and going 45 on the highway(65 limit) I loved driving it.

Nebraska farm boy
12-23-2012, 18:00
I know in Nebraska you can only pull 2 NH3 trailers at a time but I have pulled 4.