PDA

View Full Version : Santa, I need a new truck...

billschall
12-24-2006, 19:56
Hi all and Merry Christmas to everybody. Yesterday, I started tearing down the top end to replace injectors (poor economy, smoke, missing), glow plugs & controller (slow cold weather starting), injection lines, brakes, brake lines and whatever else pops up. Truck had been running poorly with a persistent - yet minor - miss, and from the looks of things under the hood and underside of the truck this stuff needed replaced. A remote FSD Heat-Sync was installed in June. There are no codes present.

After the upper intake was removed I found the inside of the lower intake rather wet with oil except for the areas that lead to cyl # 5 & 7 (driver's side, rear two jugs) where there is a heavy carbon build-up. This carbon build-up runs all the way into the head for these two jugs. In addition, there is a noticeable amount of oil on the inlet side of the turbo.

Although I'm not a mechanic, I am mechanically-inclined and have worked on things in the past. I've seen gas engines with carbon deposits like this before indicating bad valves. The oil on both sides of the turbo lead me to believe that the seals are going out - at least that's what happens on IH tractors. At 130K miles, it uses about a quart-and-a-half between oil changes which happen religiously every 3K miles.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated regarding the above two situations. Furthermore, if I've got to pull the heads - and this question is probably directed more at Jim - should I replace the precups with 6.2 cups to help improve mileage?

-Bill
(I've been pretty good this year Santa; please bring me a new truck)

Yukon6.2
12-25-2006, 13:13
Hi
I wouldn't worry to much about the oil you see on the turbo.The oil is probably 98.9 % from the vapors that get pulled thru the cdr valve and then go thru the turbo.So long as the turbo spins easy and the blades don't touch the sides,it it probably fine.The carbon build up is probly from the egr system,now would be a good time to eliminate it from the intake,making the engin breath better.

moondoggie
12-26-2006, 11:58
Good Day!

IMHO 1 1/2 qt in 3000 miles is no biggie. Every 6.2/6.5 I've owned used a qt in 2000 miles, except the 82 & then only when worked real hard, then it went to 500 miles. All run like watches. (I'm certain other folks will disagree - no problem with that, of course. :D Just my experience.)

Blessings!