PDA

View Full Version : Hard Starting

seth_95
12-24-2006, 22:22
Well My 6.5 has been hard to start here lately. When you go to start you crank for about 5-10 secs and it does a little sputter about twice while cranking. Then when you try again the second time it usually starts within 3-5 secs. It you shut it off for less than 5 mins it easy to start. But if it sits longer it does this routine. I have new glowplugs, 2 new batteries with good terminal setup. I have tested my lift pump realy and I have 5 psi while running. Any ideas?

DmaxMaverick
12-24-2006, 22:51
New glow plugs? Which ones? If they're 60G's, they require a longer glow time to get up to heat than any others. This could explain why it starts the second time, after a glow, crank, and another glow. Try glowing before a start, then cycle the key for another glow cycle, then start. If it starts more normal, my bet is your glow cycle is too short. It could be something else, but that's where I'd start. Give it a try and report your results.

seth_95
12-25-2006, 00:45
They are the ones that John Kennedy sells on his website, the quick heats. I always glow the plugs before I start. I wait for the light to go away then I crank. If i glow a second time the light stays on for less than 2 secs.

beast
12-25-2006, 12:59
how do you know the plugs are getting juice? the dash light dosent mean they are working! mine was blowing a fuse under the hood because the water in fuel indicator wireing was shorting also the fuel heater wireing can short! just a thought , hope it helps and Merry Christmas! and GOD bless!

BiggR
12-25-2006, 18:36
They are the ones that John Kennedy sells on his website, the quick heats. I always glow the plugs before I start. I wait for the light to go away then I crank. If i glow a second time the light stays on for less than 2 secs.

My brother had a problem with the Quick Heats in his '98, John Kennedy replaced the first set at no charge, and sent him a new set, these also burned out in short order, he replaced them with 60g's and has not had problem since! I don't know if he had two bad sets in a row or what? I don't think he ever let Kennedy know the second set were bad also!!!

seth_95
12-26-2006, 20:23
Well I tested all the glow plugs and they are all getting power. These glow plugs are about 2 weeks old and this problem had started before this. This is one thing I tried replacing before putting it on the forum. Any new ideas? Could it be pump timing?

Bnave95
12-27-2006, 06:55
Check for air at injection pump and injectors.
Clear tubing at IP return and injectors. Check injectors at cold start for air bubbles. Injectors leaking.
IP bubbles, fuel line source.
Does Eng. start better when wire removed from sensor at top water manifold?
Should idle higher.
There can be many issue as to hard cold start from slow cranking,fuel source if air in system,Filter to worn IP and injectors. Most times a worn IP would be hot starting issue's..
Timing can be a source,is this your first winter with truck? Starting problem last winter?
If your a member than read here http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide.htm

JohnC
12-27-2006, 13:06
Well I tested all the glow plugs and they are all getting power.

Maybe this is just semantics, but getting power to the glow plugs is less than half the battle. You need to confirm that the plugs themselves are conducting electricity. 99 time out of 100, when they fail they stop cunducting. Connect a test light to 12 volts and hit the bare connector on each plug (no wire attached). If the light lights it's good.

Robyn
12-27-2006, 20:09
Hmmm
Original injectors??
If so and your glow sticks are getting hot the injectors may be squirting a stream rather than a mist.

Once they get a bunch of miles on them and the weather turns cold the little beasties can get hard to sart.

Try plugging the block heater in and see what happens.
If your glow plugs are working and it starts ok with the heater pluged in I would bet on the injectors being low on POP pressure and the spray pattern is more of a pee stream than a nice cone of mist

seth_95
01-09-2007, 11:19
Well I tested each glowplug as JohnC advised and each one is lighting up. So all the plugs are working. These are the original injectors which now have 163,000 miles. It seems like if I shut it off and Immediately start iot back up it starts ok but if it sits for more than 5-10 mins it does its little hop and skip start. If I need to replace the injectors where would be a good place to get them. Would the hi-output ones be good, or the marine ones? Thanks, Seth

john8662
01-09-2007, 14:22
Check for codes.

I went through something very similar with my 96.

New plugs, new starter, new batteries (all were shot and needed replacing), but didn't fix the problem.

Turned out to be the Injection Pump Timing. I had a timing code stored.

Since you have a '95, you can check codes with a short shunt of a wire across two pins and count flashes. Learn how to do this in the members area of the main site, or search the forum.

Post the codes, if any. You will also find what the codes mean in the same place as you find the instructions for checking on a 94-95 model.

If you have any timing codes, it'll start poorly.

Also, if the coolant sensor in the water crossover has failed, then it'll start poorly as well, just as you describe. Troubleshooting this item is simple, just unplug it. It's located on the passenger's side thermostat water crossover, two wire plug. If you unplug this item, and it busts right off like it never has before, then it could be this item. Again, check the codes first.

The engine will rattle loudly with the second troubleshooting technique.

J

mrpipe
01-09-2007, 20:33
have a 1986 gm 6.2, 580000kms, 350000 miles never removoved an injector glow plug or fuel pump runs great but the body is falling apart.

xtrempickup
01-09-2007, 20:46
i found out some intersting info i didnt know about my truck yesterday regarding hard starting, 1st being, my primary pump failed, making it hard to start. Not only did I not know that would do it, it also makes it have a lean condition When I stomp it. Great glow plugs and power isn't enough ifyou dont have enough fuel getting to the injector pump to run it. check that to, its not difficult as I found out.

seth_95
01-11-2007, 14:22
Well I checked for stored codes and none were present. My lift pump is currently working. I tested for when the truck was running and when it wasnt running. I will try unplugging the coolant sensor next. I will keep you posted. Thanks!

seth_95
01-15-2007, 21:57
I tried unplugging the coolant sensor that is for the ecm and that made no difference in how it started. The pump timing is right on where it needs to be.

65TD
01-15-2007, 22:10
What about when it starts, white smoke o' plenty or what?

What Robyn said about injector spray is very likely.

Mark Rinker
01-16-2007, 07:04
My '94 was acting up at the first of this season, after spending most of the summer parked.

I added 1 full can of 'SeaFoam' cleaner to a full tank of fresh fuel, and double doses of FPPF to the next 2 tanks.

Whatever was ailing the injector(s) went away - its starting up smoothly again.

Bnave95
01-16-2007, 09:17
Well I tested each glowplug as JohnC advised and each one is lighting up. So all the plugs are working. These are the original injectors which now have 163,000 miles. It seems like if I shut it off and Immediately start iot back up it starts ok but if it sits for more than 5-10 mins it does its little hop and skip start. If I need to replace the injectors where would be a good place to get them. Would the hi-output ones be good, or the marine ones? Thanks, Seth
Sounds like injectors are bleading off and then allowing air to inter injection line.
DS-4 will prime lines when cranking. This sound like a truck when new injectors have been installed and started.
Have a spare PMD/FSD?

seth_95
01-16-2007, 14:50
I have a new pmd as of about 5000 miles ago. Where would be a good place to buy injectors and what type would be good to go with? Regular or HO?

65TD
01-16-2007, 20:56
Stock injectors are fine.

Check prices at local auto parts.

JohnC
01-17-2007, 11:08
I have a new pmd as of about 5000 miles ago. Where would be a good place to buy injectors and what type would be good to go with? Regular or HO?

If all you're doing is replacing injectors, I'd go with stock. If you are also replacing the pump, consider "High Pop" injectors for better atomization. If you're also adding a big power chip, consider high flow injectors.

For vendors, check out the Advertiser's section, link at top of page.