PDA

View Full Version : LBZ fuel economy trials

2tough2park
12-26-2006, 17:45
I finally put the truck through some paces. I towed a Mazda 626 about 60 miles to my house back in November. Besides the big beige bump in the rear view mirror, naturally the truck drove as if it were never there. I even ACCELERATED while holding gear going up hill. Not that it's a big deal, but dam, my 94 wouldn't hold OD going up hill, let alone accelerate. So, that particular tank dropped out to 15.5 for the part I tracked(about 3/4) which included twice shaming some guy in a Dodge Ram(hemi?) last week. Far cry from the 18mpg's I was getting. So, next tank, back and forth to mom's for Christmas I'm back up to 17.5. While I'm disappointed that I'm only getting 1mpg empty better than my 94, it's taken less than one tank to return to 17.5 and it's still rising. Honestly, I don't know how you guys are getting the 20's you see, but even in mixed driving back and forth to work(Fredericksburg to Norva), I was in the 18mpg realm which I found quite satisfying considering the dry weight of the truck.

mark45678
12-27-2006, 21:22
I finally put the truck through some paces. I towed a Mazda 626 about 60 miles to my house back in November. Besides the big beige bump in the rear view mirror, naturally the truck drove as if it were never there. I even ACCELERATED while holding gear going up hill. Not that it's a big deal, but dam, my 94 wouldn't hold OD going up hill, let alone accelerate. So, that particular tank dropped out to 15.5 for the part I tracked(about 3/4) which included twice shaming some guy in a Dodge Ram(hemi?) last week. Far cry from the 18mpg's I was getting. So, next tank, back and forth to mom's for Christmas I'm back up to 17.5. While I'm disappointed that I'm only getting 1mpg empty better than my 94, it's taken less than one tank to return to 17.5 and it's still rising. Honestly, I don't know how you guys are getting the 20's you see, but even in mixed driving back and forth to work(Fredericksburg to Norva), I was in the 18mpg realm which I found quite satisfying considering the dry weight of the truck.

62 mph max , drive like you have a raw egg under your foot and you might get in the high 18 mpg if your truck is a 4x4 with a allison..... Me , drive it like I dont own it and happy as a pig in **** that it gets 16 mpg every tank unless its towing. 6 speed standard and a two wheel drive truck would make big differance. I hear good things about some of the custom ECM reflash tunes for the older trucks but nothing on the 06 lbz yeat.

Kennedy
12-28-2006, 08:54
I hear good things about some of the custom ECM reflash tunes for the older trucks but nothing on the 06 lbz yeat.

I'm on it! 07 Classic "puppy truck" is on the way. Seriously though, the 18-20 range is about all a guy should realistically expect. I see a lot of guys spend a lot of money chasing mpg and most will not recoup their investment.

My motto: Modify for performance and to optimize efficiency. If you gain economy, it's a bonus.

My 2005 LLY could approach 20mpg with coaxing. Since I've been tuning I've seen 21 approaching 22mpg. This is somewhat repeatable on other trucks, but no guarrantees.

2tough2park
12-28-2006, 10:36
Not that I'm COMPLAINING, I was just posting my recent experiences. Since the LBZ is new and I have the 06 version(LSD/ULSD capable), I'm just sharing my observations. And I forgot to mention that I had less than 5000 miles on the clock. I know that makes a difference.
I'm full aware that I'm not going to reach 30mpg while towing 3 cars. But, boys can dream.
So, I'm just sharing. I'll be hitting the computer tunes after I get an exhaust and intake. I'm not going hog wild on this one.

2tough2park
12-28-2006, 20:04
I'm on it! 07 Classic "puppy truck" is on the way. Seriously though, the 18-20 range is about all a guy should realistically expect. I see a lot of guys spend a lot of money chasing mpg and most will not recoup their investment.

My motto: Modify for performance and to optimize efficiency. If you gain economy, it's a bonus.

My 2005 LLY could approach 20mpg with coaxing. Since I've been tuning I've seen 21 approaching 22mpg. This is somewhat repeatable on other trucks, but no guarrantees.

Hey Mr. Kennedy, will those software upgrades work with the 2006? I hear tell the 07 Duramax is a different engine code as well as being ULSD only and having all that emissions addons.

Kennedy
12-28-2006, 20:49
LBZ is LBZ for all intents and purposes.

2tough2park
12-29-2006, 08:12
Okey dokey!