PDA

View Full Version : Coming to terms with DIC

2tough2park
12-26-2006, 17:52
While riding down the road, I switch back and forth between the trip odo and the fuel used displays to figure quick mpg runs in my head. Since the "average mpg" display is kinda weird, I just ignored it. Well, on the way home from mom's, I switched over to the average econ display and hit the reset button for the heck of it. Wow! Didn't expect that! The numbers reset, then began acting like an instant econ display changing readouts as I pressed the pedal. It slowly evened out to reflect the quick divisions I did in my head from trip odo vs. fuel used. I guess I should have read the book. I'll keep an eye on it as I drive it more to see if it continues to update rapidly as opposed to every few hours.

Kennedy
12-26-2006, 19:53
The DIC can be a very useful tool for observing how your driving habits affect economy. I often reset mine at fill up and by the time I'm at mid tank it settles down pretty well.

Just remember that most tuners/chips will mess with the numbers.

JohnC
12-27-2006, 13:33
Randee:

It averages the mileage since the last reset. If that was recent, it'll reflect changes quickly. As time wears on it takes more and more of a change to affect the reading. If you want to know what's going on "now", you have to reset it.