PDA

View Full Version : Bio Diesel ?

cndnls
12-27-2006, 12:43
I sure that this question has been asked before. I would like to purchase one of those make your own diesel kits and would like to know if it is as good as they claim (the fuel) and what special mods if any do I need to do to my truck? 02' chevy d-max I live in southern california in the high desert where overnight temps sometimes get in the teens during the winter but not always.It usually does not stay cold for that long and I have not had to use the block heater. truck runs great I have an secondary fuel filter on this also.Any advice would be greatly aprieciated. Thanks in advance!!!:D

More Power
12-27-2006, 17:07
I think if the fuel is clean and produced as the kit manufacturers indicate, the Duramax would operate OK. However, you could lose the 5 year/100,000 mile engine warranty & 7 year/200,000 mile injector warranty by not using fuel as outlined in the owner's manual. :(

Personally, and as long as warranty is an issue, I'd stick with fuel certified for ASTM D-975. :)

Jim

Biodiesel6.6
12-30-2006, 18:48
I've been making my own fuel since I bought our 01. I have 3 Diesel, The 01 LB7, Cat C7 and new LBZ. I run a blend of B50 winter and B80 summer. I might start running B100 in the LBZ in the summer of 07.
If you know how to test the Biodiesel for quality and it's crystal clear. Your fine!
You will run into a few problems at first. Took me almost 3 years to get to a fail safe process with excellent fuel. With some custom tuning and B50 winter blend. Around town mileage is 16-17 and 20-22 highway with the LB7.

Go for it!

jay menna
01-11-2007, 18:35
i have a 02 dmax. i have just purchased a home made diesel kit. i havent used it yet but i have about 18 gallons made. is their any thing i should know about using home made bio fuel in my truck. dose the milage go up? how about power?

Murphy
01-26-2007, 00:09
I sure that this question has been asked before. I would like to purchase one of those make your own diesel kits and would like to know if it is as good as they claim (the fuel) and what special mods if any do I need to do to my truck? 02' chevy d-max I live in southern california in the high desert where overnight temps sometimes get in the teens during the winter but not always.It usually does not stay cold for that long and I have not had to use the block heater. truck runs great I have an secondary fuel filter on this also.Any advice would be greatly aprieciated. Thanks in advance!!!:D

I was just browsing different diesel forums and found your post so I registered to respond. maybe I'll stick around :)

Anyhow, I make biodiesel by the hundreds of gallons and have had people use it on a regular basis in more kinds of vehicles than I can remember. We use it at 100% (B100) and our engines love it.

Making the fuel is EASY.. and its actually a higher quality fuel than regular petro diesel but it does have drawbacks. Its not good in cold climates. I'm in Michigan and we run it 8 or 9 months of the year. (the other 3 months are just too cold for biodiesel).

Making the processor is the hardest part.
Making the fuel is the easiest.
Finding chemicals and oil supply is somewhere in between.

Remember this: DO NOT USE A PLASTIC REACTOR. Get STEEL only.

If you want to learn about how to make biodiesel, visit these links:
www.biodieselcommunity.org
www.biodiesel.infopop.cc

Here is what the US Department of Energy has to say:
http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/npbf/feature_guidelines.html

I suggest you purchase a book by a person called "Girl Mark". She is the inventor of the appleseed home-brew method. You can find her by goggle and in Wikipidia. Its a good book.

Here is an example of an excellent processing system for sale.. (and its at a good price too)
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/959605551/m/8711096081

I hope this info helps ya.

Subzilla
01-29-2007, 15:16
Murphy, glad to see a familiar name from the BD infopop forum. Hang out here for great info on the GM stuff. I've learned so much here and it is as informative on GM stuff as the BD forum is on that subject. There are alot of non-BDers here that aren't convinced BD is a good thing, though. But we're working on them! Thanks for all your BD insight.

Murphy
01-31-2007, 02:23
Murphy, glad to see a familiar name from the BD infopop forum. Hang out here for great info on the GM stuff. I've learned so much here and it is as informative on GM stuff as the BD forum is on that subject. There are alot of non-BDers here that aren't convinced BD is a good thing, though. But we're working on them! Thanks for all your BD insight.

Hey Subzilla.. !! How's it going!???

Yup.. I'm spreading the good word.. Trying to sell my reactor to make room for the new one too..

Good to see ya around! I feel like a small load as been lifted knowing there is someone else out there (not on infopop) with accurate information!

arveetek
02-06-2007, 11:18
My father and I have been making our own home-brewed bio diesel for about 1.5 years now. Have had excellent results. We made the "appleseed" style reactor mentioned above out of an old water heater, and it works great. Wash tank is a 300 gallon plastic tank that once housed barbeque sauce, got it cheap from a restaurant supply house. Drying tank is a 55 gallon drum. 55 gallon drums are a bio diesel producer's best friend!

I usually run B100 in the summer, and around B50 in the winter, although this winter has been extra cold, so I've had to quit running the bio until it warms up. I'm continuing to stock up on the used oil, though.

Casey