PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with edge unit

jeep haller
12-28-2006, 08:44
After several weeks of dealing with the tech support at edge he finally told me that my unit was unrepairable and only offered to sell me a refurbish used one to replace it. My unit was built on 11-15-04 and I did not have trouble with it until 12-10-06, one month past the warranty. I am going to buy again but I am going to go with either a diablo predator or a hypertech, has anyone had good or bad luck with either.

Kennedy
12-28-2006, 10:49
Unfortunately we are seeing this become all too common an issue. I've had excellent results with teh Van Aaken product as a plug in module. Diablo also works well. I've been doning more and more custom tuning as there is no hardware to fail with this setup and the results are second to none.

Mark Rinker
12-28-2006, 12:18
What were the results of the Edge hardware failure? Did it leave you stranded, or was there a simple work-around to get rolling?

J.Priestley
12-28-2006, 18:06
Hello,

I'm new to the forum scene but I've been involved in the Automotive aftermarket for along time. I've used just about everyone's exhaust, programer, intake and so on.... I've had extremely great luck and results with Hypertech for my gas applications; very easy to use and I've never had one fail, ever! They also have a great Tech Support Staff and they stand behind there products! Highly recommended!

Custom tuning; that's another subject entirely! :)

2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.6L LBZ Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N Intake, Edge Juice w/Attitude. What's next! :D
1973 RS Camaro 427 BB. To be featured in Super Chevy and Chevy Rumble late 2007!

jeep haller
12-28-2006, 18:51
Thanks for the replies.
Yes it did leave me stranded twice, both times very close to home. (it is not my daily driver) An hour or two later it started right back up so I parked it and started it 3 days later and it died before I got out of the driveway. Same thing it started right up 5 hours later and I parked it. 2 days later I tryed to start it and it would only crank, so I took of the edge and it started right up and has been running fine for weeks. The tech said he new what was wrong with it but no way to fix it only replace it.

I think I will be going with the hypertech unit.

Thanks

Ron

Kennedy
12-28-2006, 19:16
I think you'll be a bit disappointed with the Hypertech unit. They make some power, but aren't even in the same league as Edge. It's hard to beat the Edge for performance...

jeep haller
12-29-2006, 08:39
I am sure that you are right about the performance, however for someone that never used level 4 or 5 on the edge and almost all the time ran it in level 1 trying to save the trans and get decent mileage are they all that much different?
I will never own a unit that has to endure the temps under the hood again. Is the Diablo any better than the hypertech in level 1 or 2?

Ron

J.Priestley
12-29-2006, 10:20
I've noticed there are alot of members here that don't like Hypertech; what is it being based on? They make solid products that work and are tested to ensure they work. Why would Hypertech be one of the biggest names in the industry if they sucked so bad? You will never see the gains out of a gasser that you will with a diesel; but they find the balance between performance and reliablity; it's not a race car. You can adjust tire size, Speedo and shift points and so on plus more power; what else do you need? The Diablo Sport is a good unit but I would still recommend the Hypertech.

I've had multiple Hypertech units and my most recent application was a 2002 S-10 4.3L V6. I installed a K&N Intake and a Magnaflow cat-back and I gained 20 RWHP and about 1-1 1/2 MPG. After that I installed the Hypertech unit and I gained another 20 RWHP and about 1 MPG. So in total I gained about 40 RWHP and 2-2 1/2 MPG. I was more than happy with that! :D

J.Priestley

2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Magnaflow Cat-Back, K&N Intake, Edge Juice w/Attitude.

Kennedy
12-29-2006, 19:25
I am sure that you are right about the performance, however for someone that never used level 4 or 5 on the edge and almost all the time ran it in level 1 trying to save the trans and get decent mileage are they all that much different?
I will never own a unit that has to endure the temps under the hood again. Is the Diablo any better than the hypertech in level 1 or 2?

Ron

Edge on the lower levels outresponds and out torques most anything "off the shelf" for the Dmax.

As for Hypertech, it's lackluster. Someone who knows no better may think it's fine and maybe it is, but there's MUCH better out there. My dyno results with the LLY Hypertech were dismal to say the least.

jeep haller
12-29-2006, 21:31
Thanks for the comments, this is good discussion. I have a friend that just installed a hypertech in an LLY and he is thrilled with it he said he is even getting better mpg, but then he has never had any other unit. I have had the edge for the last 2 years and 1 month and can not justify paying more for a unit that must try to survive under the hood than for one that is used 3-4 times a year and keep under the back seat. I am not someone that wants to spend the money to get performance that I rarely need. However back to my question that I don't feel I have an answer to yet, is their a any difference in the Hypertech and the Diablo in the lower levels power wise and will one give me more mpg than the other one on level one or two?

thanks
Ron

Mark Craig
01-02-2007, 20:08
jeep haller,

The Predator has the best diagnostics and as far as HP is concerned there is no comparision. Pricing is very close so that doesn't really matter. Just take a poll of the number of Hyper users vs most any other brand much less the Predator by Diablo and you'll see the number of Hyper's is very very low. Please call us if you have any questions on the Predator.

Mark @ DPPI

Ponderosa JT
01-05-2007, 10:19
jeep haller,
I just purchased an exhaust, intake, and predator for my 02. I'm very pleased with the upgrade. I'm running the 65hp tune to avoid trans problems and hopefully see better fuel economy. I think the comments on the hypertech are coming from dyno results verses advertised levels. The Predator (correct me if I'm wrong) comes close to meeting the 40-65-85-120hp levels on the dyno, where the Hypertech doesn't. My nephew has the Hypertech on his 7.3 PS and it seems very strong for that application. I think the Predator has a better tune for the Duramax. It doesn't mean the Hypertech is bad, it's just not as strong as the Predator in the Duramax application.

Jeff

DmaxMaverick
01-05-2007, 12:40
I ran my 2001 on the Edge dyno in SLC at the 2005 rendezvous. With the Predator at 65, it put 315 HP and 609 TQ to the rollers. This with 285/75/16 (33") tires. I agree about the Hypertech. Tall claims, short results.

Reprogramming the PCM is a better option for performance, but you can't beat the simplicity, custom options and diagnostic features of a good hand held programmer. I will probably be jumping on the EFI Live wagon soon, but won't be tossing my Predator. No matter which performance mod you go with, having a Predator is still worth its salt.

jeep haller
01-05-2007, 20:45
Thanks to everyone that replied, it sound like my mind is made up and the predetor is the one for me. Still it hard to just throw away an $800 unit only to have to buy another one. I think this is a good lesson for those that are thinking of buying a unit that has to live under the hood with those temps all the time.