PDA

View Full Version : project6.2

B.A.M.6.2
12-28-2006, 10:57
Hi folks,nice reading with you all. I've bought an '86 sub. with a 6.2 out and in pieces, it looks all there except the block. The folks i got it from are good christian people and have no reason to not tell me truth.
The engine had been overhauled but somehow wound up getting water in the oil.-? they were told the block was bad.-? Are these engines a problem? Should i convert to maybe a cummins? i can do all the work myself-have built my share of engines/trans/&rearends.
Everything else looks to be there- rods, crank, pan, heads;etc.
It's a really clean truck other than that.

More Power
12-28-2006, 11:50
You're asking a 6.2/6.5 enthusiast group if you should convert to a Cummins? :rolleyes:

B.A.M.6.2
12-28-2006, 12:15
just looking for answers and input. well.........how about some enthusiasm?

JeepSJ
12-28-2006, 13:39
Since you have most of the pieces, I would find a good block and put it together and run it. You will be happy with it.

NH2112
12-28-2006, 15:20
Where are you located? I have an 82 block I doubt I'll ever use.

B.A.M.6.2
12-28-2006, 22:36
I'm way down in H-town (Houston) thanks for the great offer but i think freight would eat me up!
Are there any blocks stronger / weaker than others- if i do build it i would like to make any improvements/revisions needed so i can "turn it up". Can these be turbo charged like th 6.5? is there anything to watch out for on the heads? what about the crank?-i've seen one broke at the flange.
thanks for any input.

83Blzr62
01-05-2007, 10:49
The stongest blocks are supposed to be the '82 red block for the 6.2 and the newest AMG blocks for 6.5's. The crank is only supposed to be polished not ground, but several have had their crank ground .010" or index ground and have been fine. Get a new harmonic balaner, they keep the crank in one piece. The heads commonly have cracks, but their is a procedure on this site to repair them. Many machine shops here in phoenix already knew how to do the repair. The 6.2's can be turbocharged either with a 6.5 turbo setup, ATS turbo kit(discontinued but on ebay), or the expensive Banks kit which is still porduced. If you use the 6.5 turbo setup in an older 80's style truck expect to change the injectors to the short body and make a custom exhaust. You will have to deal with the AC box interference with the turbo if it has AC also. If you do searches you can find more detailed information about blocks, the crank and the turbo kits.

83Blzr62
01-05-2007, 10:55
Also, if you have lots of money and want crazy power go with a 6bt. A 6.2 can get about 200 - 250 hp and 400-500 ft-lbs of torque reliably if it is built right. It will be cheaper than a cummins and easier to install. A 6bt can make much more power, but the conversion would be much harder than installing a turbo 6.2 into a previously 6.2 powered vehicle. It depends alot on what you need and what you can or are willing to do.