PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start in Morning

TTM
08-18-2005, 20:16
The housing pressure cold advance.

Can someone tell me where this can be found ?
How can I test this to ensure it is working ?

I think this may be why im having starting problems on a cold engine.

TTM

BobND
08-18-2005, 21:28
HPCA is found on mechanical IP's only, NOT on the much-maligned DS-4.

On the mechanical (DB-2) pumps, there are two wire connectors on the top of the IP. The one more towards the front is the fuel shut-off solenoid, and the terminal more towards the rear is the HPCA solenoid, which will be energized on a cold start, and then will shut off when it's coolant sensor opens, about 110 degrees, if my memory is correct.

TTM
08-19-2005, 22:39
Thanks, Got to be those battries...

tom.mcinerney
08-21-2005, 05:21
May want to have batts load checked , and charging system checked at a shop. Sears used to do for $10.00. Bad cables/batt-conn/gnd-connections will limit both glow plugs and starter.

TTM
08-22-2005, 10:50
Good idea, I think it's the driver side that's dying. But how they work...? together to produce 12 volts? Is one used more than the other during normal operation?I really never got a good answer on that.

JohnC
08-22-2005, 12:42
The 2 batteries are in parallel for added capacity. They act as one big 12 volt battery. Theoretically they share the load equally. If one battery is weak the good one will actually discharge into the bad one, trying to charge it.

TTM
08-22-2005, 13:04
Oh ok...so really the truck should have batteries of the same CA and CCA to equal the load or does it matter?

JohnC
08-22-2005, 13:30
What is most important is that they both be at the same voltage to prevent that discharge problem. There's technicaly no reason they have to be the same capacity, but they should be the same age and construction. Basically, you need to replace them in pairs with the possible exception of a failure of a fairly new battery.

TTM
08-23-2005, 06:33
Good to know, been scratchin my head for awhile on this topic.