PDA

View Full Version : Block breakage anomalies

Robyn
12-28-2006, 21:02
Talking with a local fellow today about his trucks with the 6.5 TD
This fellow has 6 1 tons in his small company that all have 6.5's in them
They range in age from a 94 up through 98

He was telling me that his 94 has the most miles at 245K and has had zero failures of any kind.

He has a 96 that has had 4 major engine failures that envolved broken blocks and cranks.

The single 98 has had one engine failure and it was covered under warranty and is running a Goodwrench replacement now.

The other trucks have had simple problems including but not limited to PMD and IP issues.

In looking at the rig with 4 major engine failures, this strikes me as odd that one truck would have lunched 4 engines, string of bad luck??
I dont think so!!

The 6.5 has a nodular Iron crank, this in and of itself seems strange as any major HP producer usually has a forged steel crank in it.
Back years ago GM produced the big blocks in a low HP model with a nodular iron crank and all the others got steel.

Could it just be that the cranks are suffering from some sort of torsional deflection that is causing undo stress on the block resulting in its early death and also maybe the root cause of the crank failures.

A 6.5 that has a small issue with an injector or two may well be seeing internal stress induced by cylinder to cylinder variations in power that result in uneven power pulses and subsequent torsional overload that does the thing in.

Why would some engines run to above 200K with no issues and others dont even make 100K and come apart literally! Boom!!

I really think there is something to this.

Any of you engineer types please add to this.

I have pushed Big blocks far above what they were ever designed to do and not broken a block or a crank.
I have had blowers grenade filling the engine full of crap resulting in the destruction but out and out breakage I have not seen.

To have an engine in Ma's Burb just break seems really hinky to me.
There must be underlying issues that in the right combination cause the failures.
If this is so it should be possible to do a good post mortem on a dead one and figure out what the cause is.

I personally dont think that the blocks are so weak that they just break.
Granted the drilling of oil holes in the main webs did not help but I still think the issue is hiding in the shadows somewhere.

Lets beat on this some

Robyn

B.A.M.6.2
12-28-2006, 22:57
i would suggest tracing the engines back to their respective assembly plant; sometimes you can just follow the trail of blood. if that isn't satisfactory try you can try and find who was machining the cranks and even go back to the vendor doing the forging.
if you can trace this out i'm sure you'll find someone to point at .
i did walk in a mans shop one time and he must have 50-60 of those "bad' engines of that era on the floor-said most had rods out the sides and bad cranks.
Find a reliable machinist or core supplier and he'll most likely have some kind of answer for you and i'll ask mine down here in big-H