PDA

View Full Version : engine temp?

jay menna
12-29-2006, 17:02
i have a 02 duramax with afe intake, mbrp 4 inch exhaust and edge with juice/attitude. lately i have been suffering in fuel milage. got the truck checked for any injector problems and theirs none. i notest that the engine temp on the attitude monitor averge about 174. if iam on the highway it might hit 181 but rarely. is this normal engine temps. i thought it should be 190. i feel this may be why my milage is down.

Mark Rinker
12-29-2006, 19:06
Where are you located? Winter temps will lower MPG, along with winter blend fuels that have less BTU content per gallon.

Could be a thermostat issue - easy enough to replace and test. Also make sure there are no restrictions to your intake or exhaust. A partially blocked air filter and/or sooted up catalytic converter could be robbing you of your mileage.

Other common, yet minor factors: low tire pressure, dragging brakes.

jay menna
12-30-2006, 15:40
i live in Toronto Canada. it has been a mild winter though. are my engine temps normal being at 171f average? isnt sappost to be at around 190?. how would i check for bad thermostat, brake drag or any restrictions. i have no cat and my air and fuel filter are clean. i also use an attitive every tank.

Biodiesel6.6
12-30-2006, 18:35
I was logging the 01 today making some EFI live tuning changes. The ECT reads 176 constant. I think your 174 is fine. I looked into changing the T-stats and found there 's 2 temp ranges. 175 and 185 if I recall. When I first had the truck I thought the ECT was low and the dealer said it right on.
Been at that same range since Sept 01.

Its a Diesel not a Gasser

mark45678
12-30-2006, 20:05
any temps under 40* its fine to run the grill cover,if your towing its not a good idea to cover the front up 100% , i will fold the two sides in to let the air at the coolers.