PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem

wthif
12-29-2006, 17:49
I've been lazy, in the since that I haven't taken the time to trouble shoot my own problem.

Went to start my truck early one morning glow plugs worked and it started up good. Turned on headlights and notice voltmeter gauge was reading nothing. I knew this was a false reading because if it was actually that low my truck wouldn't have started. So drive on and didn't give much thought to it until I go to start my truck later that morning. I get in my truck after it had been sitting 3 hrs in 30 to 40 degree weather decided glow plugs are called for and press my switch and nothing (no glow). I decided my truck was probably warm enough to start and it was started just like it had just been shut off. So I can get my glow plugs to work when I put 12 volts to the relay from my batteries.

So the problems are non op. volt gauge and no power to energize glow plug relay. What would have went out that would have taken these two things out at the same time? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ZZ
12-29-2006, 17:56
Might check for a blown fuse.

NH2112
12-29-2006, 18:33
What DOES work? Headlights & horn? It sounds like you have either a blown fusible link, bad battery cable connection at the starter, bad connection at the junction block on the firewall, bad ignition switch, or broken wire somewhere along this path.

wthif
12-29-2006, 20:11
Everything else works to the best of my knowledge. I haven't found anything else not working. Headlights, guage lights work all the battery cables were replaced about two months ago. I will check the cables, but I guess I was wondering if the volt meter is on a fuse with other stuff or ... ?

countymountie
01-04-2007, 23:34
I just had the same problem on my 82. Mine would pop the 20amp gauge fuse which took down the dash and glow plugs. To isolate components, I unplugged everything on that circuit with no luck. Changed the ignition switch out and everything is fine now. All other switch positions worked and the truck ran fine when I was able to get it started so the switch was about the last thing I considered. Hope you track it down.

wthif
01-04-2007, 23:52
I've been quite busy/lazy lately and haven't had time to figure out the problem. I will post when I figure it out and I'll try to get it fixed this weekend.

wthif
01-06-2007, 17:55
I checked the majority of the fuses in the fuse block today. None appear to be blown. The only fuses I didn't check were the ones that were obviously working when I was checking the fuses like interior lights.

From what I can tell the pink wire with black stripe going to the glow-plug relay on the inner fender well must have a fusible link somewhere before it. Does anyone know where this fusible link might be? A reminder the only two things not working are the voltmeter and 12v going to the glow-plug relay.

Also any other thoughts would be appreciated.

wthif
01-18-2007, 21:02
I found my electrical problem, at least what I suspected it to be last week and fixed it today. Turned out my problem was a fuse after all. There was this one 30amp fuse in the upper left of the fuse block that was hard for me to see with a brake controller in the way. This fuse seems to provide protection for all information lights (emerg. brake, 4WD) and all gauges, but because the majority of my gauges in my dash do not work any more and I thought only the volt meter had gone out. Apparently this fuse also provide protection for 12v supply to energize the glow plug relay and it might also supply power for the advanced timing switch.