PDA

View Full Version : Boost Gauge ?

dieseldrivingfarmer
12-29-2006, 18:39
I received a Bully Dog Boost gauge for Christmas Hooked it up, didnt read anything SO i built a boost controller as my vacuum line disintigrated in my hand. Still no boost reading Did i do it in the right place?? The drilling that is, i put it on the back side of the intake pipe halfway between the turbo and the intake on the engine, if i remove the the fittings and place my finger over the hole i feel no air comming out of there

What am i missing here??

BTW

1994 6.5 TD k3500

Hubert
12-31-2006, 12:17
Did you use any thread sealer or teflon tape on fitting? Might have pluged the small hole in fitting. Or might have some oily grime in intake thats plugged it? Can you blow air through hose with engine off? Where exactly is your fitting?

Not much air comes out unless you are under appreciable boost. You should be able to tell if don't have any boost because the truck would smoke like a train under heavy throttle and probably set the SES light.

Blow into the gauge and see that it operates.

dieseldrivingfarmer
12-31-2006, 14:33
no thread sealer, only time it smokes is if i floor it from a dead stop.

bcbigfoot
12-31-2006, 15:44
At idle or even fast idle you won't see any boost, at highway speed depending on rear end gears 1 to 3 psi. Going up a hill and pushing on the accellerator hard 6 to 8 psi is normal boost. Check your to see if you are getting any vacumn with a gauge (I think 15psi min), then check your diaphram thats hooked to the turbo waste gate lever see if it has a hole in it.

dieseldrivingfarmer
12-31-2006, 15:48
No vacuum to worry about, i made a home made boost fooler. i took the hose off and blew threw it, felt air going out of it, made the gauge move by blowing into it.

Dvldog8793
12-31-2006, 19:23
I sat in my shop for about an hour fumigating myself with diesel fumes trying to get my gauge to work. Unless you are using a gauge that measures in 1/4lbs of boost you wont see any. With a factory set engine you will be HARD pressed to see any boost unless you are on the road or can load the engine some other way. My truck will now show about 2-3psi reving it hard at a stop. otherwise it sits on zero.
Unless you are using a Turbomaster type of boost control you will still need vac from the pump and a good control circuit. The Turbomaster works very good but I have also had good luck with JK's electric boost control. JK's still needs a vac pump and my truck no longer has one...
Hope this helps.
L8r
Conley

dieseldrivingfarmer
12-31-2006, 20:42
I used a peice of threaded rod and a pretty stiff spring. following many of the pitures i had seen of other home made ones

gmctd
12-31-2006, 20:57
Which Boost range do you have - 0-15 or 0-50?

And Happy New Year.

dieseldrivingfarmer
12-31-2006, 21:56
0-50 Bully Dog from SS Diesel

sturgeon-phish
01-01-2007, 07:41
The range of your gauge may be part of your problem as a 6.5 with average mods may only see 12# boost. With a degree of error and no mods, you may not generate enough boost to come off the peg.
Jim

gmctd
01-01-2007, 12:17
Precisely.............

You'll need the 0-15psi gage, or a 0-20psi gage from another source, even 0-30psi will work..

rjwest
01-01-2007, 14:17
Isspro has a 15 lb gage, but it's labeled 'manifold pressure' not boost,
I have had 1 for several years, good gage, very clear glass...

max I have ever seen was a spike to about 13.5...

dieseldrivingfarmer
01-01-2007, 14:35
I took the hose off of the back of the gauge when i was climbing a hill and felt nothing comming out, shouldnt a little bit of air be felt??

DmaxMaverick
01-01-2007, 14:46
You should be having air blowing out under those conditions.

Which direction is your homemade wastegate controller working? Pushing, or pulling? If it's backwards, it won't make any boost. Is your threaded rod solid? Or do you have a spring incorporated? If you pull the wastegate lever (where the vacuum actuator or rod attaches) by whatever means, toward the front and keep it there, it should be making boost. You can't have it stationary at partially open. If not, something else is amiss.

dieseldrivingfarmer
01-01-2007, 17:35
the spring is pulling the rod towards the front. built it just like i had seen about 2 dozen other pictures. I dont get any black smoke unless i floor it, then it smokes pretty good, I have been getting a code 35 (i think its either a bad PMD or Pump) ill take pictures of it tomorrow and post them

Sure thought i was getting a good deal for 4,000 bucks, but ive stuck 2500 into it so far.

gmctd
01-01-2007, 18:24
Code 35 can be failed lift pump, OPS, dirty fuel filter, plugged in-tank sock, low fuel, dirty fuel, etc - spend some time checking those out.

Problems can also be low battery voltage, poor grounds and connections.

Don't give up, yet.............