PDA

View Full Version : Lifter Removal

sidehackbob
12-30-2006, 09:01
Can I replace 6.5 lifters with the heads on?
Thanks

Robyn
12-30-2006, 09:41
yes it can be done but its a bitch to get the end ones.

sidehackbob
12-30-2006, 10:06
Its just the number 4 thanks.

More Power
12-31-2006, 22:04
You'll need a mechanical part picker, and patience, but as Robyn said, it can be done.

Why are you replacing a lifter?

If you're replacing with a new one, be sure to prime it using a lightweight oil before installation. You can submerge a new lifter in a container of 5-10W oil, then pump the ball socket with a pushrod to expell the air and fill it with oil.

Jim

Robyn
12-31-2006, 22:57
A trip to the book store to get the latest edition of the mechanics guide to colorful metafores might be in order too. ;0)

The pet store sells small three armed monkeys with reeeeeealy small paws, might come in handy after you use up all the colorful metafores and throw all the tools around and pull your hair out.

Nah its not bad its just tedious and you need good lighting and something good to stand on so you can see well.
The little 3 prong extended claw tools work well.
The lifter guide clamp each have 1 bolt in them but not to worry the bolt will not fall out of the clamp unit and can be left laying in the lifter bay along with the guide while you fetch out the lifter.
Once out the lifter can be snaked out and up through the center area of the head.
Nice thing is the lifter bay is fairly well open except for the head over the top.

Good luck Oh and BTW be carefull, the monkey's bite.

Robyn

sidehackbob
01-01-2007, 10:45
I seem to have a collapsed lifter. I used to keep a big block dodge modified running. We got pretty good at fishing lifters out of the valley until we quit using paper pushrods.

john8662
01-08-2007, 12:52
I seem to have a collapsed lifter. I used to keep a big block dodge modified running. We got pretty good at fishing lifters out of the valley until we quit using paper pushrods.

You'll need two telescoping magnets, yes, two.

You can replace the lifter pretty easily.

Especially if it's in hole #4.

Remove the the cover, rocker arms/rockers, pushrods. Then remove the 13mm headed bolt holding the lifter retainers, then remove the lifter retainer, then remove the faulty lifter with one magnet.

Installation requres two, because you can properly hold it with two.

DO NOT BUY THE HARBOR FREIGHT JUNK ones though.

Get some quality ones from your usual parts store.

Install the lifter, (after lubing the roller and body with oil or cam lube). Position it correct so that the notches on the guide plate will align. Take your magnet and an screw driver long enough to reach down in there, and position the plate and leave it down there (you would have figured out the screw driver need by the end of the lifter install). Install teh retainer plate torque the bolt, assemble the rest.

A collapsed lifter will be one that the plunger will be stuck downwards, should always be upwards all the way (especially w/o valve train load).

If not, it's bad because of the spring is broken inside or the bore is worn to where it cannot sustain pressure inside. Take it apart, they're simple and neat.

Have fun, I know I have a few times...