PDA

View Full Version : 96TD Observations and Questions - Long - Input Please

MTTwister
01-10-2004, 16:24
It was 30+ F today, so I got a little 'qualtiy' time with the truck!

Observations -
1. The Air filter box doesn't have the inner fender snorkle! Do need a new Air Cleaner tho'

2. The Water Pump / dual thermostat upgrade looks like a real bearcat, esp with the A/C compressor on the drivers side! The Alt is on the Pass side. Maybe I can try the 21" fan first?

3. Got 3 of 4 of the new batt terminal upgrades done - but the longer bolt I got wasn't fully threaded, and Yep, it didn't fit. To Ace or Checker tomorrow.

4. I swung by the Chevy dealer the other day and asked one of the parts counter guys if they had a takeoff PMD I could play with. The guy handed me a complete IP! Model 5288, manufactured 3/98. Took off the PMD, tested the transistor mounting nuts- felt finger loose, so tightened them up finger tight plus 45

Tough Guy
01-10-2004, 20:18
Its nice to see someone from Butte posting.

You would be better served to use a Diesel fuel additive for your fuel tank. I use Power Service which can be found at your local Wal-Mart or the many advertisers on this site sell excellent fuel additives.

Definetly service the the tranny.

Cheers

tom.mcinerney
01-11-2004, 20:44
1. Good chance. Not the latest PMD.
2. It takes a while to set up a pump on an expensive lathe in a clean room and pump test fluid thru a calibrated injector to check delivery. More time if does other checks...Call a local diesel injection shop.

Turbine Doc
01-11-2004, 21:05
MTT,
Instead of swapping for a stock pan you might want to check out a PML pan it's aluminum finned for some additional cooling and adds extra trans fluid, easy install, center drain and boss that can be tapped for trans temp sensor.

http://www.yourcovers.com/

MikeC
01-11-2004, 21:44
I second Tim's PML pan suggestion. I installed both a trans pan and a diff cover from PML. Only diff is, my sender for trans temp is in the outlet line from the trans to the cooler. Hottest fluid to get temps from in this line.

Mike

Don H
01-12-2004, 04:02
I put a 21" duramax fan and Kennedy fan clutch on mine and it made a big differance in cooling.
I did no cuting to install.

rjwest
01-12-2004, 07:03
The SMALL switches from radio shack will fit above the gage on a piller mount.

a5150nut
01-12-2004, 07:40
Did the 97 cooling upgrade on my 94 with no problems other than I didn't have an extra outlet for the heater hose. In trying to remove the old one it broke. If I had to do it again, I would add a hose outlet to the pars list.

And it was well worth the the time it took. Don't remember exactly how long this was though. I changed glow plugs, injectors, injection pump, remote FSD, and gear drive cam all at the same time.

rlvelin
01-12-2004, 08:58
I wish I had waited for a warmer day to do the improved battery connections. It was a couple days earlier and about -15 when I did mine, but the truck needed it. I think my fingers are still a little numb. Once the batteries got recharged it made a big difference with starting especially on those cold days.

I also use the Power Service, mostly because its available. I guess it's better to use an addative than oil.

Marty Lau
01-12-2004, 10:30
Hello MTT from Great Falls,

Hey I been going through the upgrades your looking at infact I am buttoning it up in the next few days sooo, If your going to be in the Great Falls area you could come up to my place and check it out. Other wise I would be happy to chat here or on the phone. You may e-mail me at montanamn@aol.com.
I was only going to put a Hayden Severe duty fan clutch on and see from there. While going through a bunch of other stuff and having raditor out for service I decieded to change timing chains so might as well go with the Hi output waterpump since I had the old off. Then the housing that hold the quick release for the heater hose. I melted that a bit trying to get the fiting out. So as long as I have to replace that I went to the dual thermo stat and for $31 bucks I got the Duramax fan. Bearcat......naw just a mean old Tom cat. Toughest part was gringing the Alternator mount to allow the Dual to fit. I have a 3" Jardine exhaust anb does a good job. I would change the whole shooting match. If you plan on doing only few power upgrades a 3" with a good down pipe and muffler should do the job. I can't speak to Heaths exhaust but if it is like the rest of Bill's products you will be fine. If you going to do major power upgrades then look to 3 1/2" pipe.
I'm with Tough Guy use a decent fuel additive. If you have a Big R in Butte try there I get the 96 oz bottle at our Big R for $9
Good luck keep us informed

MTTwister
01-12-2004, 12:18
Thanks everyone for the input...
rlvelin - I know what you mean - worked on the project car for 2 winters in an un-heated garage. After -40

Marty Lau
01-12-2004, 12:58
MTT;
I wouldn't spend the money on a 4 inch as you gain nothing but looks. You might check with Jardine too they are close to Jackson Hole and they build the whole system and I think you might be able to get the whole thing done and installed for about $400. Not so far from Butte.