PDA

View Full Version : GM Recommended Services Vs Reality

jamesm34
12-30-2006, 19:21
Just left the dealer for some warranty work (leaking PS hoses and a loose steering column) and was pounded by the service associate for all kinds of recommended GM services. I have an 06 Dmax with 28K on it. According to the dealer, I was due for a full tranny service dropping the pan and changing out the internal filter, a power steering service, and a injector service. These seem like overkill especially the tranny, which is where I drew the line- change the external filter at 25K then turn around at 30K and pull the pan? I pull a ski boat in the summer, but that's about it.

My question is, what is really recommended by GM and the members of this board? Was I way off to question this guy? I change the oil/ Filter every 6K, Fuel Filter every 15K, and the tranny fluid every 25K with the major planned for 50K. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks and have a good new year.

mark45678
12-30-2006, 19:42
spin on filter every 25K and change 8Qts of fluid at that time..... Trans flush is a good idea but its your call. You will have no issues due to lack of service if you use these guidlines. More miles the fluid may get dirty and change color. I used Allison Transyn oil ever filter change.

SoTxPollock
01-10-2007, 12:13
Allison says change the internal filter only at overhaul time. You're good to go with everything you mentioned.
I do suggest an add on fuel filter and engine oil filter to maximise engine life.

cowboywildbill
01-10-2007, 18:53
Not to get off topic, But I have an 05 Impalla. I purchased the Gm Extended warranty. Cost me $1800.00 big ones. I take the car in for a transmission problem. It is banging when it shifts and shudders. It needs an overhaul. The clutch packs are shot. The dealer say's they have to get permission to fix the car, I say why they say well this isn't really a GM warranty it is an insurance policy. Great. Well they put a valve body and a pressure switch in. The dealer calls me and say's do you want a new internal filter put in. I say why wouldn't you do that. They say it will cost me $225.00 for the filter. I said your nut's, then they said do you want new fluid in it after we put it back together? I said what? They said new fluid fill Dexron III is an additional $174.00. I said no. Then they said do you want the updated computer flash to deal with this line pressure issue that burn't up the tranny in the first place? They said an additional $93.00 to flash that in. I can't beleive the crap they try to pull. The dealer is in Frederick, Md. They have been decent in the past, but this is a rip off. I watched them drain the pan. How could they put the old fluid back? Any way, I gave the mechanic $40.00 and a filter that I bought over the counter a GM for $40.00. I am Pi$$*d off. I wouldn't buy another extended warranty from GM if they sold it to me for 5 cents. I don't know where these dealers are comming up with this stuff. PS my car still shudders, it needs clutch packs and whatever. I will have to fight to get it right.

Kennedy
01-11-2007, 09:11
I like to do the Allison spin on by about 5k for first service and then it's up to you, but every other oil change works good or 25k max. Trans fluid is easy to change so dump at 25k (Allison recommended severe duty interval) Fuel filter recommended is 15k, but I often see them load up well before this point. I group my maintenance projects with oil changes which would put James at 12k fuel filter, 24 k trans filter etc

For injectors, I just run FPPF Total Power in all fuel burned.

For PS service, I guess it's not a bad idea as it's really a neglected system that seldom gives grief, but it shouldn't be a bad DIY project.

Rear diff, many change quite early, and once done should be 100k safe with synthetic.

For Bill, I'd recommend paying a visit to the owner or GM of your dealership. I deal with the Brian or Randy Domine at Domine Chev and they hand me off internally as they see fit. My 07 came from Meghan Quinn-Kummer at Quinn Chev GMC in Ellsworth WI (Domine could not find the truck I wanted) and will be warranty serviced by Domine no questions asked.

Londell
01-30-2007, 13:34
Speaking of oil changes. When I look at my Oil life setting on the truck dash it works out to about 10k between oil changes. Has anyone gone by the oil life percentage meter and tested their oil viscosity afterwards?

TheJDMan
01-30-2007, 19:46
Never ever buy extended warranties! They are just a way for retailers to add profit to their bottom line. These extended warranties are in fact insurance policies and just like your home or auto insurance they will nit pik you to death when you try to collect on a claim.

cowboywildbill
01-31-2007, 15:57
You are right about that.