PDA

View Full Version : ULSD in Mexico

Calgary
01-01-2007, 15:45
I'm thinking about buying an '07 D/Max but am wondering if I'm likely to run into fueling problems as I winter in Mexico.

Is anyone aware of the pending availability of ULSD fuel in Mexico?

DmaxMaverick
01-01-2007, 16:10
Better get a truck with a build date before 1-1-07 (today). I seriously doubt Mexico will follow the NA guidlines for ULSD. Even if they did, I doubt you could depend on all refineries/suppliers to comply. Any pre-07 doesn't require ULSD, and you should be OK with additional filtration for your Mexico trips. There should be only dealer stock left for the pre ULSD engines, so you better get one before they are gone.

Mark Rinker
01-01-2007, 16:35
I have heard you can use tequila as an additive...

More Power
01-01-2007, 17:20
The Tech Matters column in the January 2007 issue of Diesel World magazine said this about ULSD in Mexico: :)

Mexico currently offers diesel fuel having two different levels of sulfur. One grade is similar to our outgoing 2006 fuel with 500 parts per million sulfur (.05%), and a lower quality grade with 10 times higher sulfur levels (.5%). There are areas within Mexico that are receiving diesel fuel that supposedly meets the new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) levels of 15-ppm, but I wouldn’t expect to find it outside of the U.S./Mexico border areas and the larger cities. Mexico has announced that it may implement its own nationwide ULSD diesel program sometime in 2008, but that won’t help you now.

International, the diesel engine manufacturer for Ford, has stated that the earlier 500-ppm diesel fuel could be used in an emergency in their 2007 diesel engines, but repeated use of diesel fuel containing higher levels of sulfur will have a cumulative negative impact on the new diesel exhaust catalyst and DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter).

I’d contact the resort areas and other destinations you plan to visit in Mexico to inquire about ULSD availability, and you may want to install an auxiliary fuel tank in the truck that can help you manage your fuel stops.

Incidentally, Canada will mirror the U.S. with the new ultra low sulfur diesel regulations, so travel to Canada shouldn’t be a problem.

JeepSJ
01-01-2007, 18:32
You could theoretically just pull the catalyst and particulate traps for your trips down there, then reinstall them when you get back. Also, take a few extra fuel filters with you - we have had more than one occasion where we got a dirty batch of fuel.

Spoolmak
01-03-2007, 22:24
We just returned from six weeks in Mexico with our early 2004 Duramax. We travelled from the crossing at Naco, south of Toombstone, to Puerto Vallarta, and back via Lukeville. We did 3000 miles in Mexico. I do not recall ever!!! fueling with anything but high sulfur diesel. I did not find any Pemex station that offered anything but one grade of diesel. If any of the stations we filled up at had different grades of diesel, I sure did not realize it.
On the positive side, Diesel is government subsidized, and sold for 5.5 pesos everywhere.
I did not experience any fuel filter problems. What I did find was the 15-W40 CL-4 or CH-4 oil I needed for a change was impossible to find anywhere, until I went to the Puerto Vallarta refinery where they had one, yes one, 19 liter container of it which I promptly bought for mucho dinero - way more than I pay at home. I had brought an oil filter from home. Next time, I'll bring oil down as well.
Great holiday by the way!!!

cowboywildbill
01-05-2007, 18:45
Are you supposed to put the tequila in the tank or drink it?
I would be very concerned that if you added it to the fuel that the worm in the bottle might clog up an injector. Is that covered under the warranty ? "Ha Ha"

Dakster
01-18-2007, 06:48
Just out of curiosity, was that 5.5 pesos per gallon?? Doing the the currency coversion that would equal around 50 cents a gallon:eek: .... Wow... Talk about cheap.

Calgary
01-18-2007, 09:07
No, that would be per litre, not per gallon.

Dakster
01-18-2007, 18:00
No, that would be per litre, not per gallon.

Ahh. That makes more sense. So around $2 / Gallon, which is still cheap compared to the $2.55+ around here.