PDA

View Full Version : Test drive of the new 6.4L TT Ford Super Duty...

Tough Guy
01-01-2007, 23:33
Here is an ARTICLE (http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=1185337) on the new Power Stroke. Enjoy...

Chris

murphyslaw
01-02-2007, 01:18
I just put in my order for a '07 F-550 ex-cab with the PSD 4wd and a vulcan 810 composite bed. as well as a full trim package all the goodies cd/am-fm/nav/dvd PS/PL/PW leather seats w/heaters heated mirrors. and a 12place hidaway strob kit with rear/front window led light bars. and there gonna wire it up so I can black it out(no running/head/tail/backup lights). I'm EXCITED!!!! i;m not much of a ford guy this will be my first. but man this is looking to be a b*tch*n rig.

ogrice
01-02-2007, 03:58
New Ford PSD. This one will definetly challenge the LBZ/LMM to be the king in the power department in stock trim. However, it is a novice in the mpg department.
Less than 10 mpg towing and only 14.2 mpg unloaded from a twin sequential variable turbo system.???? I can tow 8000 lbs over a 1000 mile trip thru the mountains with my foot at 75% or more throttle the whole way and get better than 14.2 mpg out of my truck.
Only time will tell what Ford had in their list of priorities. I hope that this engine will not die to the massive service recalls that the 6.0l expired under.

DmaxMaverick
01-02-2007, 10:38
I caught the mileage, too. If that's close to the real world result when they release it, I don't think it is even in competition. Any Duramax can better it by at least 25%. The rest of the article could have been written in 2005 for the release of the 2006 GM truck, except for a few technical/mechanical details. That engine should be better (and more competitive) in the torque department. It makes the same claim of torque as the current LBZ, but at 400 RPM higher. The article didn't impress me, to say the least. I may be biased, but the author of the article seemed biased, as well. We'll see what happens when the big rags do their side-by-side comparo's.

Tough Guy
01-03-2007, 11:05
Oh come on guys, mileage? This was a "test" drive...0-60's etc...

I don't think anyone here would agree that one test drive of a new powertrain is a suitable platform for fuel economy testing.

Time will tell. Fuel economy is an important aspect of vehicle purchasing right now. If Ford missed the mark on that then......

Chris

DmaxMaverick
01-03-2007, 11:25
I agree. But.....

They posted the numbers. They separated the towing and non towing mileage, so they must have (one would think) included a mileage test, and didn't flog it during the test. Even when I do some serious performance testing, my mileage only drops 1-2 MPG for that tank. Giving them the benefit of doubt would still leave the numbers wanting. It is possible the model they got to test isn't in the final release trim, but they have a looooong way to go, with those figures. A few 0-60 and other runs would be very consistent with real world results for a daily driver, with freeway merging, passing, etc. I think, according to their biased slant, they would want to put the best foot forward. I hope, for competition's sake, they have a good one coming. Seems to me, competition is the only thing that gets a fire lit under GM's butt.

Tough Guy
01-03-2007, 19:28
Here is a quote from that article:

[i]"During our weeklong evaluation, we towed two boats

colt49
01-03-2007, 20:28
Ford has all that radiator/cooler design so tight with the engine with the twin turbos the ability to work on the engine/transmission is very limited. Serious ,labor intensive ,drivetrain service work will result in moving the cab off/back to access this region of equipment. The RUMOR at SEMA looks to be true of having to move the cab to wrench on the Ford!!! Shop rates $100/hr plus now and more intricate compacted drivetrain components make fast high dollar repairs a fact for R&R work now on a FERD. Wait for the public to have to work on their trucks now with this tightass design. WOW.....

StrangeEngine
01-16-2007, 18:21
New Ford PSD. This one will definetly challenge the LBZ/LMM to be the king in the power department in stock trim. However, it is a novice in the mpg department.
Less than 10 mpg towing and only 14.2 mpg unloaded from a twin sequential variable turbo system.???? I can tow 8000 lbs over a 1000 mile trip thru the mountains with my foot at 75% or more throttle the whole way and get better than 14.2 mpg out of my truck.

14 mpg is basically exactly what I get, have have gotten for 65K miles, around town in my '02 D-Max.

Sucks.

- Mark

ronniejoe
01-17-2007, 06:02
Oh come on guys, mileage? This was a "test" drive...0-60's etc...

I don't think anyone here would agree that one test drive of a new powertrain is a suitable platform for fuel economy testing.

Time will tell. Fuel economy is an important aspect of vehicle purchasing right now. If Ford missed the mark on that then......

Chris

Wow! You've really converted to the Dark Side!:mad: :p

Tough Guy
01-17-2007, 10:48
Wow! You've really converted to the Dark Side!:mad: :p

Luke, I am your father!

I drive a Ford, so now I'm evil? :eek:

I still love you RJ. :p

Chris

ronniejoe
01-17-2007, 11:29
I drive a Ford, so now I'm evil? :eek:

You didn't know that Ford ownership is like making a pact with the Devil? Pretty soon, your soul is lost without recovery.:eek:

I have a vanity plate around here somewhere that I used to hang on my bulletin board when I worked at Allison. It reads, "Friends don't let friends drive Fords." I'm doing the best I can by you Chris... You just aint listenin'.:D

dspencer
01-21-2007, 09:55
I think this truck will have a market for the horsetrailers, rv trailers, construction workers (that pull bigger trailers)and some larger boats but for the rest of the masses its getting to be too big too inefficient.
I can't stand the sight of a truck that large with only a 30 gallon diesel tank? That won't be apreciated by any highway drivers.

Its seems like they are backing themselves in a corner as all the big three or 4(Toyota) in making bigger better. The folks that buy them for an everyday driver or under 10k trailers are going to have to compare the prices for these diesel guzzlers. I hope the new smaller 1/2 ton diesels are on their way. The market is there and soon to make more sense with these new bigger trucks.

robertb6963
03-17-2007, 02:30
Both my bosses have 2008 F350s (maybe 3/4ton can't remember), pretty quick, in-dash screen (stock!), Overall pretty nice, but more like a car than a truck. They are getting them back on Monday with 8" of lift and 40" Baja Claws, don't know how they got the lifts so quick but should look good! So jealous!!!

bnmccoy
03-19-2007, 15:15
Ford has all that radiator/cooler design so tight with the engine with the twin turbos the ability to work on the engine/transmission is very limited. Serious ,labor intensive ,drivetrain service work will result in moving the cab off/back to access this region of equipment. The RUMOR at SEMA looks to be true of having to move the cab to wrench on the Ford!!! Shop rates $100/hr plus now and more intricate compacted drivetrain components make fast high dollar repairs a fact for R&R work now on a FERD. Wait for the public to have to work on their trucks now with this tightass design. WOW.....

Most the Ford techs have been removing the cabs for several years now. Ford just made it a standard proceedure and facilitated doing it. Quick connect fittings for some fluids and cab bolts from bottom up now. Does make it difficult for the average 'joe' years down the road who wants to do his own work.