PDA

View Full Version : Fuel supplements

Shire Ben
01-02-2007, 06:24
Good morning,

I have read numerous threads on fuel supplements. I understand that Power Service is not recommended by members of these forum's. Any particular reason? Thank You, Andy

DmaxMaverick
01-02-2007, 10:22
Good morning,

I have read numerous threads on fuel supplements. I understand that Power Service is not recommended by members of these forum's. Any particular reason? Thank You, Andy
Don't know how you got that idea. I use and recommend it, as well as a bunch of others here. Many additives are good, and some folks have a different opinion based on what they use/sell. There is no reason I can find not to use it, other than individual recommendations. PS contains no alcohol, and makes the same claims as the other comparitive products. GM, on the other hand, only recommends Stanadyne or Racor additives.

Shire Ben
01-02-2007, 11:01
D-Max,

Thanks for your reply. I was reviewing your archives from 6/12/02 where there was quite a bit of disucussion on Power Service. I have had very good results with this product. Andy

ccole
01-02-2007, 13:28
Shire Bin,
I am definitely not a fuel additive expert, nor disregarding what the other very knowledgeable members of the forum say... but I no longer use PowerService.(even though I sell the stuff.) As a parts mgr for Deere, I keep a close business relationship with area pump/injector service shops in our area. Every technician I have spoke to in these shops tell me not to use OR sell powerservice as a supplemental lubrication additive. They all claim a Stanadyne or equilvent (Deere p/n #TY16230) product is recommended. Right or wrong, thats what they tell me....

More Power
01-02-2007, 16:36
The argument for or against any of the commercial diesel fuel additives really comes down to whether you feel a water emulsifying or demulsifying treatment is better.

Power Service and FPPF are "emulsifying" types, which allows water molecules to blend with the fuel and pass through the fuel filter and fuel injection system. Stanadyne, on the other hand, demulsifies the water, which theoretically allows the water to drop out of the fuel and be collected by the fuel filter.

A theory I read against emulsifying fuel treatments indicates that water put into solution in the diesel fuel might be OK for a vehicle that burns through the tank of fuel fairly quickly. Otherwise water molecules could drop out of suspension over time and heat/cold cycles to form droplets on the delicate surfaces of the fuel injection pump and injectors.

I've used a lot of PS as well as Stanadyne.... :)

Jim