PDA

View Full Version : Is this too much weight for my truck?

DmaxMad
01-02-2007, 08:15
Just the truck 3/4 tank fuel and 2 people 7060 total. 4060 on the front axle and 3020 on the rear axle.

Weight it with my goose hooked up with 2 jeeps. 22,760 was the total weight. front axle on the truck weighed 3960, rear axle weighed 6420 and the trailer axles were 12,380.

That means the trailer and jeeps weigh 15,700 with 3400 of tongue weight.

I have a 2500hc D/A CC Short Bed

DmaxMaverick
01-02-2007, 10:12
Too much weight, or the weight isn't properly distributed. Your truck has a GVWR of 9,200#, RAWR of 6,084#, and a FAWR of 4,670#. The GCWR is 22K#, but I don't consider your GCW of 22,760# too far over to be really concerned.

Two things need to happen to get your weight right, and closer to legal. The hitch point needs to be moved forward (your front axle can handle another 700#), and your cargo load needs to be moved rearward. You have too much pin weight, putting the truck way overweight, and the rear axle dangerously overweight (with OEM tires). What are the ratings for the trailer? You have to consider that, too. This combination would be within the ratings of a dually, but we have to be more creative with our 2500HD's. Your truck's gross is over by 1,100#, and that's too much to work with. You need to know how much the trailer capacity is, because you don't want to exceed that, either.

While I can't recommend you load over the ratings, if you plan on hauling this load I suggest you upgrade your tires to at least 265/75/16E. This will increase your tire safety margin by over 700# on the rear axle. It won't make you legal, but at least you won't be exceeding the maximums of the individual components, except the rear springs. Airbags would be very helpful.

DmaxMad
01-02-2007, 11:07
Thank for the reply.

I have a B&W Turnover ball. How do I moved the weight forward on the truck?
I already have 265/75/16E tires. Since this was weighed I have moved the jeeps
rearward about a foot. That's about all the room I have to go back. I have not weighed it since. I have plenty of trailer weight to play with gvwr on it is 16,000

DmaxMaverick
01-02-2007, 11:20
Is your BW bolted or welded to the frame? If it's bolted, you can either move the bolt hole locations forward an inch or two, or use offset brackets. If it's welded, you will have to either reweld it forward, or you may be able to use an offset ball.

Even though the trailer has a GVWR of 16K, you still need to know the rating of the axles. Many trailer ratings include a specific amount of weight for the tongue. The GVWR may not be equal to the axle rating. You will also want to keep the tongue weight within the % of the gross. GN's and 5'ers are much more forgiving than pull trailers, but they still need enough weight on the tongue in relation to the gross.

DmaxMad
01-02-2007, 11:28
Trailer has 2 8k axles