PDA

View Full Version : Best Fuel Additive???

BlackMaxx212
01-03-2007, 12:31
I just recently got a new set of 8 injectors (under warranty) at 136,000 miles. I have owned the truck since 68,000. I have used the Power Service additive since I've had it, and had no issues. The white bottle for under 50 degrees (anti-gel) and silver bottle over 50 degrees (+6 cetane boost). Any recommendations one way or the other on which additive is best?? Being in northeast Indiana, we see all types of weather - not really tundra-style cold (but we can see -10 or -20), and not blistering hot either (usually tops out around 90 with some 100 degree days in the summer). I've always stuck with Power Service, and I'm just soliciting opinions. I've read a lot about FPPF's Total Power, and it seems to be just as good. Any thoughts???

More Power
01-03-2007, 13:23
The argument for or against any of the commercial diesel fuel additives really comes down to whether you feel a water emulsifying or demulsifying treatment is better.

Power Service and FPPF are examples of the "emulsifying" types, which allow water molecules to blend with the fuel and pass through the fuel filter and fuel injection system. Stanadyne, on the other hand, demulsifies the water, which theoretically allows the water to drop out of the fuel and be collected by the fuel filter.

A theory I read against emulsifying fuel treatments indicates that water put into solution in the diesel fuel might be OK for a vehicle that burns through the tank of fuel fairly quickly. Otherwise water molecules could drop out of suspension over time and heat/cold cycles to form droplets on the delicate surfaces of the fuel injection pump and injectors. GM approves of the demulsifying fuel additives, but not emulsifying.

A theory I read for emulsifying fuel treatments indicates that it's normal for some amount of water to accumulate in a diesel fuel supply system over time - from a few drops to... lots. Those for say it's better to dissolve the water into the fuel, and allow it to pass on through - they don't trust the fuel/water separator function of the fuel filter to provide enough protection. Also, some say, over time, any water in the fuel tank/filter could allow bio organisms a place to set up shop. The for crowd feel better with an emulsifying fuel treatment.

Alcohol and acetone have been used as emulsifying agents in diesel fuel additives. Alcohol isn't used by those mentioned here.

I've used a lot of PS as well as Stanadyne.... because they are available locally. :)

Jim

Tough Guy
01-03-2007, 19:43
I just recently got a new set of 8 injectors (under warranty) at 136,000 miles. I have owned the truck since 68,000. I have used the Power Service additive since I've had it, and had no issues. The white bottle for under 50 degrees (anti-gel) and silver bottle over 50 degrees (+6 cetane boost). Any recommendations one way or the other on which additive is best?? Being in northeast Indiana, we see all types of weather - not really tundra-style cold (but we can see -10 or -20), and not blistering hot either (usually tops out around 90 with some 100 degree days in the summer). I've always stuck with Power Service, and I'm just soliciting opinions. I've read a lot about FPPF's Total Power, and it seems to be just as good. Any thoughts???

I am a proponent for Power Service! I have used it in a 6.5L powered truck and sold that truck with over 235,000 miles on it, most of those with Power Service in every tank, never had to touch the injectors or IP. It started great and ran great...

Now, I have the PSD listed in my signature and have ~184,000 miles on the odometer...The last 80,000 or so with Power Service, its good stuff and my fueling station carries it for me.

I burn a tank of fuel every 2-3 days so water isn't a big concern for me.

As for the injector issue in your Dmax, I think fuel filtration would be more of a factor in injector life then additive and doubt that any additive could have helped you in your situation.

Chris

BRADZ06
01-05-2007, 18:49
Stanadyne for me...:)