PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about '93 6.5L

Mudd8227
01-03-2007, 22:30
I am looking at a '93 3500 with a 6.5L Turbo in it. Problem is that the truck doesn't run. He says what would happen is the truck would start and then as soon as you hit the gas it would cut out. Now he says all it does is crank over, which I haven't even heard that yet (battery's were dead when I went). He thinks that it might just have a fuel leak, but just doesn't have the time to deal with it, plus he has another truck already. The engine has about 150k on it and he said the bottom end was rebuilt, he didn't say why though. I've heard conflicting things about this engine. Some people say that the engine is probably fine it's just the fuel leak that is causing it. Another person said that if the bottom end was rebuilt there was probably a bigger problem like overheating or something like that and he also said that these engines aren't known for lasting to long, 200k if that. I figured this would be the best place to find out the real answers. Anything you may have would be great. Thanks

Bnave95
01-04-2007, 04:56
A 93 is Mech. injection pump.(makes it a little eazyer) Frist off check the lift pump on the driver side frame rail. Find a way to apply 12 volt to pump. Under hood fuse box there is a relay that can be jumped. While cranking (not sure on a 93) the lift pump should run if oil psi switch is good. Once Eng. is running the oil pressure switch(rear valley area) controls the lift pump, if oil psi switch is bad lift pump won't run. Air can inter the fuel system before the lift pump. After the lift pump it would be a fuel leak. Lossen the nut at one of the injector while cranking to see if fuel is there.
If all of this checks out,where dealing with air in fuel or Injection pump issue's.
The glow plug system needs to be in good shape.
Fuel filter lost prime or needs primed. Owner may have changed filter?
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide1.htm

Mudd8227
01-04-2007, 16:01
I know he said he replaced the fuel pump right under the drivers side door. As fas as the voltage going to it... I don't know. Like I said the batteries were dead when I went to look at it. I guess it's gonna depend on how much I can pick the truck up for. I don't wanna spend a ton of money on the truck and then have to dump alot of money into fixing it.