PDA

View Full Version : Possible Injection Pump Failure

Clark's diesel
08-20-2005, 08:42
Hello, I am a new member of TDP. I have 141900 miles my 94 half ton 6.5 turbo diesel. I bought it with 32,000 origional miles on it. I have had to replace the injection pump control module once,(under warranty), and the vacuum pump. The only upgrades I have done are the new 3" down pipe and 3" exhaust. The catalytic convertor is gone and I added a new magnaflow muffler. I also upgraded to a bigger tire size. I came home one night after working on the late model race car, shut off the pickup and went to bed. It failed to start the next morning however. I had it towed to a friends repair shop. He ran a computer scan, and no codes were present. There wasn't any fuel getting to the injectors. The injection pump had all signals and fuel to it. We both agreed that the suspect problem is the pump. I am a rookie when it comes to a lot of this diesel stuff, so bear with me.

rjwest
08-20-2005, 14:10
check the fuel shut off solenoid, and read all the postd on FSD'(PMD)

20050627|3|008327|000043|65.183.99.20
08-21-2005, 01:05
If you turn the key to the run position, can you hear an electric pump running?

I just had to replace my lift pump and one fuel solenoid (while on holidays). Truck started and then stalled after a minute or so. It re-started only after I heard the lift pump run for a bit. I had both a flakey solenoid and a weak lift pump (2psi).

Hope it's not the main pump.

Clark's diesel
08-21-2005, 07:45
The LP is working, as I got a big stream straight up in the air out of the bleeder on the fuel filter. I can feel the shut off selonoid click once the key switch is on and once again when it is switched off. I think I'll order the FSD coooler kit from Kennedy. $500.00 bucks sounds a heck of a lot better than $2,000.00 on an injection pump. Even if it is the injecton pump, it sounds like I'll want that remote mount anyway. I read that cracked block thread, and am very concerned. Sounds like we have a few issues with these motors. I guess I'll be peeling off that oil pan tonight and inspecting for cracks. Thanks for the input fellas!

Aryeh Levy
08-21-2005, 12:04
Not only is $500 better, but you can get reman pumps w/o the PMD, for `2-300 less

BobND
08-21-2005, 12:48
I used a new FSD, bought on ebay for $150.00, a LARGE heat sink that cost $5.00, had to drill and tap the heat sink, though.

I mounted it behind the LH headlight on a couple of bucks worth of aluminum angle.

I soldered in a harness extension, so there was no great $$$ there either.

It sure has worked out GREAT for me, but, of course, I'M CHEAP!